1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UH OH.... Torque Converter?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MeeksCo, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I have a 96 Fullsize 5.7 350 with a 4l60 Transmission.
    Bone Stock truck.
    Transmission has been shifting flawlessly from the day i've owned it.
    So smooth you don't even feel it.
    But, on the highway, at high speeds when giving very little acceleration on a downhill or a stretch where torque is not needed, the truck will hesitate.
    I am used to it, it's been doing this for about a couple of months now.
    Havent found time to get under there and check it out. I believe it was a TCC Solenoid causing this.

Anyway,
    Today on the highway, I noticed the truck was shifting weird. It would downshift easier then usual while accelerating on the freeway. The accelerator felt different.
    After getting off the highway, I noticed it would not shift into second gear from the stop very easy. It had to get to 5000RPM before it would do it. Or I could shift by letting go of the gas.

Got home, and there is oil all over. It was spewing oil from the back. I can't seem to find out where it is coming from. It looks like motor oil. I wondering if it is dark/brown transmission or converter oil.

I'm stumped. Pulled the dipstick from the front and the tranny oil is red, bubbly, but red like it should be.

Any suggestions, ideas, do and dont's, would be much appreciated.

PS. One guy says it was spewing oil out of the transmission vent as if it got overheated.
    I can understand that as I was in a hurry and at about 80+ MPH for over 10-15 minutes.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The converter doesn't have its own oil and it shouldn't overheat doing 80mph unless you had the plow on? Anyway it sounds like she's hurt and needs some attention