1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uh oh... NEW TOY!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Snowbrdr360, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Well, i've recently gotten a few large bids for next season in a large industrial park. So, i figured I bad better go out and find some equipment. Found this, is a 2005 John Deere 544J with all the options. Id have to get a pusher, but thats it! only 91 hours on it, im still working the numbers, but if they get to where I want to be it's gunna be sittin at my shop:redbounce

Now heres the thing, any body have a clue on what a fair price would be? Asking is $127,500

Heres a pic

[​IMG]

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

HOLY C#@P, you're going to invest $127,000 into a machine you're only going to use for one season a year! Why not get a skid-steer or backhoe, which can be used for other things like landscaping, excavation etc.?

3. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I dont really know pricing on that type of equipment but I will talk to some people that deal with used construction equipment.

I ran 544s this winter pushing and stacking snow. They had plenty of power for what I needed. They are really good on fuel use too.

4. Snowbrdr360

It would get plenty of use around the farm, we have an older unit thats on its last leg

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thats a nice machine...the simplest thing to do is call a dealer and price out a new one with the same features, with only 91 hours the thing is like new...1 question would be is why is the seller selling with only 91 hours?

however have you thought about buying a new 6000 series Deere with loader for the same price? all the work we do on the farm can easily be done with a wheel loader or a loader tractor, but with the 3pt and PTO of the tractor it makes it that much more economical then a dedicated loader

6. ffshuter

ffshuter Junior Member

Seasonal rental equipment is a good way to go.

7. Snowbrdr360

I was just talking to my dad, he sells JD the metal working fluids used to stamptheir mower decks and is thinking he can get an "employee discount" for lack of a better term. The unit was a demo, which is why the lower hours are on it. This discount could be good for 10% off since the unit is being treated as new. I'll find out tomorrow, if that happens, I'm thinking its going to be sitting at my shop by the end of the weekxysport

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What are they doing with that bobcat in the dump trailer in the upper right side of the pic?? lol

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Trying to see how steep they can get it before something breaks or lets loose??? Idk, seems like a dumb idea to me to raise the bed with a bobcat in the back, expecially that far up.

10. Snowbrdr360

I actualy asked the salesman about that, its sitting right at the back of the trailer and its all braced.

11. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Just bought a 444J at work...$108,000. NEW.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Okay, but WHY????:eek:

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That thing is like 50k more than my house was! lol. I think a back hoe would be more sensible. Just my .02 cents. I'm looking for a big garden tractor to make my own mini loader. That's a nice machine though.

14. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Looks good that should do the job. Can't say that Iv'e seen a skidsteer push BIG snow in a parking lot. If it was a demo do you get a warranty?
    My guess about the skidsteer in the trailer is to show off the trailers strength.

15. Snowbrdr360

The lots are fairly large, I would need the power and size of a full size loader to get the job done in a respectable amount of time. The last contractor had a dedicated loader and a truck running around

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I think a large farm tractor or large backhoe, would be a better investment cause that is a lot of money to put into something that will mainly see snow removal.

If you really want a loader, I would check out prices on some used machines, you can get really good deals like on a Cat 966C or 950's, Dresser loaders can be had at a good price (like a 530C). A local dealer had over 5 Cat 966C loaders for sale at the bigining of winter and most of the hours on them were snow removal and they were under $40,000 Canadian.

So the new loader would only see about 100hrs of snow (on average) in the winter, thats alot of money to spend for a 100hrs of work.

17. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Why not just lease? We did last winter and it worked out great for us. No service worries and really freed up the skidsteer.

Run the numbers. I was able to lease it from November 15th where we used it to help stockpile materials, until April 15. They are supposed to pick it up today although last week the rental place told me it would probably be the end of next week unless I needed it out of there. My solution? I rented a sweeper for it to help to cleanups.

Put some magnetic signs on a rental and you are all set.

18. sbrem

sbrem Member

I have no idea what a good price is, but we have a 544J where I work and it is a great loader. I like it a lot. If you do buy it, I'm sure you will really like it as well.

19. Snowbrdr360

It would see year round use on the farm, im not saying that leasing isnt a better option. Just looking at everything right now to see what my best bet is. We can get the JD employee buy price on this which is larger than what we figured it would be.

20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

What would you be using it for on the farm?