1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uh...oh...(clutch?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 85w/350, Jul 14, 2001.

1. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Okay here is the setup on my newly acquired 84 k-5 blazer.....350cu.in. / np208 / sm465 manual 4 speed.....tonight driving home my clutch out of nowheres when depressed would squeal....a mile or two from home and afraid of damae being done i went straight home shifting as little as possible because when i depress my cluch to shift it whins and squeals loudly...any idea what this is??? is it even the clutch? :confused:

2. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

that would be your throw out bearing. i had the same problem in my 80 K5. im sure thats it by the way you describe it.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Yeah, sounds like a throw out bearing. I'm not too familiar with a manual on a truck like yours, but usually they are replaced at the same time as the clutch. Also, since yours is a mechanical linkage clutch, check all that to make sure everything is in line. Does it still shift fine?

4. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Yeah thats what blows my mind is that nothing else feels out of place just makes lots of noise...shifts fine

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Sure it shifts fine, the release bearing is still there and working, it's just telling you it's getting ready to go west. Whne it finally locks up it will take the fingers off the pressure plate and THEN you'll have trouble shifting.

6. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Okay so i got a price on the part and all seems like a cheap fix...however looking in the chilton's manual the expensive fix seems to be the labor time involved....need to drop the t-case (which i need to labor on anyway) and then the tranny....sounds like fun...:rolleyes:

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

As long as you have it apart, you might as well put in a new clutch too. That is, unless the clutch has a lot of meat on it still.

~Chuck

8. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

definately! I can get a real deal on a new clutch set...one thing i question is whether to go with the regular clutch set or heavy duty set....that is if it seems to be worn

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

There's rarely an instance where HD is not better than standard duty.

~Chuck

10. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

Stay away from the borg and beck three finger style.
    Go with a hd diapragm. Just replaced one in mine that caused a lot of problems.
    just my two cents

11. roorda

roorda Junior Member

The down side of going to a HD clutch is you may experience a heavier clutch pedal and a more abrupt engagement. It will definatly last longer though. Depends on how hard you use your truck.Also dont forget to have the flywheel machined and replace the pilot bushing while you are their, as you probably dont want to duplicate this procedure.Good luck.

12. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

yep it was definately the release bearing...that thing was metal on metal and looked to have about 5minutes or less in it before it went west...you aint kiddin when you want to get as much done in this shot to keep from havign to repeat the process

13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

This isn't really relevant to this particular thread, but I thought some of you might find this "definition" of clutch amusing:

Clutch: 1} Mechanical or hydraulic friction device in a vehicle's drivetrain, used to stall the engine when starting on hills.

2} What passengers then do to their seats.