1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ughh, i hate aftermarket part installers

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MLLC, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

so, i took my truck last week to have a remote starter installed, a high range, high end unit. the guys put it in, and immediately when i picked it up the check engine light was on, and the transmission was locked in third gear. it took them 3 days and a trip to the dealer to fix the problem, wires not hooked up right. now my Bose sound system and onstar system don't work. so not only did the mess with the mechanics of the truck, they have now disabled a safety feature that could save me or my girlfriend and her 4 month old daughter's life if we were involved in a crash. I'm so pissed off right now i want to destroy those people. worst part is, Best Buy installed it, and I'm a full time Mobile Electronic sales associate, at that same store. So i know the ins and outs of how those units work, and get installed. i also know that on their website that gives specific vehicle notes, it says to make sure a certain wire is hooked up to avoid transmission failure. I'm on my way up there now to work, but you can be sure that me and installers/manager will have it out.

anyone else ever have problems like this?

2. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

I usually stick to the smaller mom and pop stores that actually care about their customers and never had a problem... Those big box stores just don't care about their customers anymore... hence the bad service. Good luck with your problem... Where in Ma are you located... I know a good place in Dartmouth Ma that does good work.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Hope your going to marry that girl ! ! ! ! ! !

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

I would stay away from aftermarket units the newer the vehicle is.. There are so many modules communicating to each other and so many MORE things to go wrong electronically with these vehicles that some people dont have the slightest idea whats going on in their vehicles.. They are getting very advanced and aftermarket **** just cant keep up with the changes. Only way i'd get an aftermarket starter is a really cheap one that doesnt interfere with much on the vehicle (ie nothing really fancy) or a straight from the factory plug and play model. Its not worth the hassle. A lot of vehicles we fix end up being this junk installed, and a lot of times we end up tearing it all out.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

OEM.....Now a days the manufacture makes just about everything the aftermarket guys do, an 90% of the time it is plug and play installation with step by step instructions. I installed a remote starter for my ex girlfriend on her Ford 500 in 1 hour. I had 1 wire I had to splice, everything else was plug and un plug. Came with the alarm up grade too. It may be a bit more, but it is 100% worth every penny. I usually get the part number and search it out to find the cheapst price.