1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Longae29, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure I couldn't "close" a door this year. I have close to 95% retention, got two old jobs back, but can't get a new contract to save my life.

One of the best lines was from a regional manager. I gave quotes to 3 local stores, who then pass them on to "corporate" 2 of the regional managers told me they were disgusted with the service they got last year, and wouldn't be hiring them back. well low and behold when I talked to the corporate guy he said, "we're going with the guys we had last year" i replied that I thought the store managers weren't happy, "well, thats just too bad" was his answer.
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Its all about the bottom line.. People are pinching pennies like never before
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

People are pinching pennies, they tend to pinch their A** cheeks too when their store can't do business or their office can't open because people can't park their cars. These are the reasons we are all getting sites back that we lost to low ball pricing.

Wait, you gotta be patient.......People will take more bids than ever before, they'll try to negotiate too, but in the end if you have 95% retention(bravo by the way) and 2 old contracts back you're still ahead of last year. We run around 90% retnetion, we typically weed out bad payers etc and lose 1-2 a year to lowballers. We charge a very fair rate for our local market, and still we get beaten over the head with guys running CL ads saying they'll beat anybodies contract by 10% if you show it to them. The kid who's doing this is SOOOOOOOOOO far in over his head I can't imagine being him, and he's burned everyone locally, so unless he has friends willing to travel he's up a creek.

All you can really do to try to force the issue, and you can only do this once when you're ready is to send a letter to all the places you put out bids to and tell them that if they do not respond within X days you will be forced to withdraw your proposal, in order to ensure that the people who have already signed recieve the service they deserve.
  4. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

You are very right in everything you say man.. I can't believe that 10% kid either, hes going to be up shits creek without a paddle even IF he has friends because for 10% less that means he has to pay the friends less.. Im sure he will get dropped after the first big storm that he can't keep up with.. My contracts are just starting to come back now and I sent them out late August. Just gotta be patient and do great work and hope for the best.