1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U.P. of Michigan

Discussion in 'Weather' started by yooper.mi, Mar 12, 2006.

1. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Winter is still here, we have a Winter Storm Watch for 9 pm. 7"to9" tonight and another 4 to 6" Monday.
    This is after 3 days with highs in the 40's and dropping the snow pack over 12".

253" total
    24" on the ground

2. snatchal

snatchal Member

Now they are saying a foot of heavy wet stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if the ground was still froze. I have a couple parking lots that are each a couple acres of gravel. I took a ride thru today and sunk in 2 inches.

3. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I got a 1000' gravel driveway that I was grading yesterday. Snow and wind just starting this moring, it is going to be a real pita to plow. Alot of dirt is going to move in the next few days.

4. wls

wls Senior Member

You guys can have it, there saying 1-3 down here.

5. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Heavy wet snow falling at better then an 1" /hr.

6. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

12"+ heavy wet snow and now the wind kicked up to 35 mph with 45 mph gusts. Can't see the plow in front of the truck.It's like trying to plow in a car wash, water running down the side and back wndows no idea where I was on the driveway. I parked the plow truck and will wait till this quits. County roads are barely passable with 4x4 another 4" will close many sections of road.
    This sure reminds me of years gone by when storms like this lasted days and there were many in the season.
    Hope you guys are doing alright with this one.

7. snatchal

snatchal Member

Storm warnings all day and so far all we got is an inch of frozen slush. They got a foot 30 miles north of here. It looks like all that we will be doing here in the morning is salting. The wind here is nasty. Right now there is a Coast Guard helicopter searching out in Little Bay de Noc for 3 ice fisherman who are floating away on an ice floe that was pushed out by the wind.

8. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Well it started 8 am Monday by 4 pm State and County snow plows were pulled off the roads. Heavy wet snow stopped by 8 pm with high winds and a total snow fall of 32" by 6 am Tuesday. County road was closed with 4x4 pickups unable to get thru. Some one tried to plow their way thru but had to backup a half mile to be able to turn around and go back. We didn't get the County Rd opened to 3 pm tuesday, one lane at that. Worse storm since 95 or longer.
    It took twice as long to do the driveways, this just to be passable. Very difficult as we had 3 to 5" of mud from the warm weather just before the storm. I kind of knew we would pay for the warm days.

as of 3/15/06
    287.5" ....total
    43".........on the ground

9. snatchal

snatchal Member

hey Yooper

We only got an inch down here. Kinda feel like the black sheep of the family compared to the rest of the UP.
    I've been watching this thread waiting for you to check back in. Figured it would take a few days for you to get it all cleaned up. It must have been fun on top of all the mud!
    I have a friend who just moved up to Baraga in February for a job at Terex.
    His wife is from somewhere down-state and hates snow. As we were loading their U-haul, she asked if they get much snow up where they are moving. He looked at me over her shoulder like "shut up dude". I figure she probably won't come out of their house till June. :D

10. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Baraga isn't bad they don't get 1/2 the snow we get 25 miles north of there but alot more then you guys get.
    I got a mess of mud and snow , I used twice as much gas to open up 2/3 of the area. I just can't get into the rest because of the mud. I did get everyone open but can't clean up anything. It is just going to have to melt on its own. I hope this was St Patricks day storm which usually marks the end of heavy snow falls. We don't mind the 2-4 inchers now because there is no worry about stacking it, the sun is high enough now to melt most of what comes down.

11. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Ground is white this morning and 24 degrees,windy. Total for the year is 296", might break 300" yet.

12. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

no snow in bark river

13. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Couple inches heavy wet snow.

14. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Must have 1" of RAIN this morning. More brown than white right now.

15. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service Senior Member

Hope You Get It

I am south of dertoit and we still are getting o....Looking at doppler looks like all rain for you up there...:cry:

16. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I was just in Iron Mountain a little north of home and they are just getting rain same as here. :cry: Need snow, those guys in Colorado are hoggin it all.

17. mark m

mark m Junior Member

snow

not even lake effect here in t.c.
    i,am GOING BROKE:cry: :cry: :cry:

18. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service Senior Member

Lake

The only lake I have is in the back yard from all the rain we been getting..I am so sick of this...The only thing I have to say about plowing it make winter go by faster because I want it to snow and it don't..I can remember when I did not plow winter was so long now it goes by so fast the the next thing you know your out cutting again...

19. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Is there anything over in Ontanogon or Silver City. We have property up there, and I almost want to make the 10hour drive if it means I can play in the snow....

Any snow over there?

20. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

6 inches of snow! First plowable snow of 2007. We have a snow warning for another 4-8 inches by 11pm.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007