1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Armor, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Armor

Armor Member

I searched for ujoints and I found alot of info. However when it comes to pricing, everyone talks about doing it themselves. Unfortunatley do to limited space and tools I need to take my 81 Chevy K20 in for ujoints. Can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay to have this work done?
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Which U-Joints? Rear drive line, front drive line (how many) front axles....... Tell us which, we'll try to tell you how long it takes, then you can go from there.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I assume these are the same ones you mentioned in your post about plow problems, the ones on the front axle. Not sure about flat rate on them, but they can take 3 hours per side, depending on how hard it is to get the outer axle tube to come free fromt eh steering knuckle.
  4. Armor

Armor Member

Yes thats correct. Front outer. Thats almost a whole day. A shop will probably cost me a fortune ay?
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That depends. The u joints themselves are about $30 each. You can just replace them. Then again, Winter is coming. With everything apart, you may as well put in new wheel bearings if yours are worn, you might want to install new front brake pads too. Like Alan said, it can be as much as 3 hours of labor per side. Shops around here are about $65 / hr. Figure $60 for both U joints themselves, then the hourly rate. If you need the brake pads, rotors turned, and wheel bearings, it can really add up. You might also want to check the drag link, and tie rod ends. Also, those u joints will have a grease fitting in the box, and a plug. Be sure the joint is installed so you can remove the plug, install the fitting, grease the joint, and put the plug back in. If you leave the fitting in, it will get sheared off. THe new joints will last long if you keep them greased.