1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u-joints

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sawbones, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Sawbones

Sawbones Junior Member

just wondering if you guys could telll me how to determine if my front end u-joints are getting bad. thanks.

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Junior Member

i seen this on tv, you mark a line across the ujoint and after driving you see if the ujoint has spinned. I guess it tells you the needle bearings are shot.

3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

How many miles on your rig? have they ever been replaced?

If in doubt, replaced them. Its cheaper to do this than replace the whole front end if something lets go while in motion.

Ever see a truck flip when the frontend lets go... I have! it isn't pretty :(

4. Sawbones

Sawbones Junior Member

yeah i pulled the front end and one of the u-joint caps was in 3 pieces! the body had been ground down to aprox .5in dia. needless to say i replaced it and pulled the rear to check. all is fine now except for minor high speed vibration dut to tires i guess(they need to be replaced) thanks for your replies.