1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U joints i think????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevy$men, Jan 26, 2010.

1. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

99 SILVERADO 1500 Z71 4WD SHORT BED WHEN PUTING AN D OR R MAKES A LOUD CLUNKING NOISE SOUNDS LIKE ITS COMING FROM THE FRONT IM NOT SURE ANY HELP....THANKS:help:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

what kind of noise? clunk, rattle, squeak???

hopefully B&B will chime in...he is the authority on this topic.

on a side note, please turn off caps, nobody wants to be yelled at here, especially when being asked for help :)

3. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

clunk i think....

4. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

does it do it on shift only or when you actually start to move?

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'd bet u-joints.... Why don't u climb under the truck

6. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

than do what???

7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Check to see if its the u-joints. see if you can find any play in the front driveshaft if you find it take the drive shaft out and replace the u-joints. A big help on this procedure would be going to an auto parts store and buying the haynes repair manual for your truck, for like 20 bucks

8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

u-joints replace them with greasable ones. To check them just jack up the truck and turn the driveshaft by hand if you see play in the u-joint then they are bad. easy to change with a bfh and some wood blocks

9. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

It sounds like the slip yoke in the rear of the T-case. There were multiple TSB's for this issue which included an updated nickle plated yoke.

10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

get up under grab the d shaft if you can wiggle it time for u joints

11. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

what is bfh??? but im goin outside to check this out now...

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

big fing hammer its an ez fix

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Lift up the front of the truck first, if there is torque tension , it will release it and you will be able to check the U Joints.. Sorry for yelling out the U part of the joints. (Never heard that before that caps mean your getting yelled at. Learned something new everyday.

14. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Don't your kids tell you how to text, mine do:dizzy:

15. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

i didnt kno that about the caps either thats crazy.....

16. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

My truck did it 1500 2004 my dads 1500 2005 was way worse the drive lines are terrible in the batch we ended up with, you can replace and replace all that driveline you want, (i did it all front to rear) it wont matter... Designed to wear out after the warantee expires you see so they can pad their pocketson repair bills.

17. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

sorry guy i 4got all about this but they do have play in them but i took it 2 the shop they said that the front have a little play very little and they wouldnt replace them if they were me...so idk but he put it in the air and had i guy inside the truck and had him keep puting it in drive and r and u kept hearing noise in the t- case he said the chain is not all the way tight... i didnt fix anything hope it make it ......