1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U-Joints for a 2004 2500 i want the best

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by weeman97, Feb 4, 2010.

1. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

its hemi motor 4x4. and im on my 3rd set of dealer installed u-joints, and now my warranty is up and im not payin 800+ dollars for u joints, and stabilizer links and bushing. so i need a website or chicagoland shop where i can get a best set of u-joints!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think Moogs are the best you can buy. Just do a Google search and you'll find dozens of places that sell them.

3. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

anything greasable will be better than the stock ones u cant grease. I have replaced all the joints in my truck with precision

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How many miles do you have on that truck now? Plowing with Eric1 this year?

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

camden, moog makes greasable u-joints? or are you talking about ball joints?
    i too hate the oem's, they run out of grease in 30k.
    i have a set of greasble precsions on the shelf for a spare but i may switch to spicers or a set of greasable torque king ones from www.quad4x4.com

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Anything greasable is better than stock. Also, no matter how bullet proof the joint you put in is. It will only be as good as the attention/maintenance you give it. I'm runnin a set of greaseable Neapco joints in the front end and a full set of Spicer Greaseable joints in my front and rear driveshafts.

Here's some of the best/strongest joints on the market.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ctmracing.com.self-edit.com/storefront/2
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/Products/UJoints/tabid/430/Default.aspx

U-joints can be considered the "fusible link" in your front axle. They are designed to be the weak point that will give first and cause the least damage. When you upgrade to something like the CTM or OX joints you make the joint the strong point and other more expensive and more complex components will break instead. So my advice is throw something just a bit stronger than stock, but not a ton stronger, in there and make sure its greaseable. If you keep rollin through joints after that, change axle or change your driving habbits.

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

30K?! I grease my joints after every event. Every joint always takes a minimum of 15 pumps after plowing. If I could go 5K miles without greasing a joint or pivot I would be impressed. Even with aftermarket components.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was talking to a guy the other day about this. He only buys spicer joints from the Heavy Truck shop.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If you can't Dogde it Ram it. My friend had on old 92 Dodge that was the same way. Don't think I ever had a conversation with him where half his body was stuck under the truck.

10. sno commander

from ct

oems dont have grease fittings, 30k was how far my stockers went. ;)

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're pumping a manual grease gun 15 times per each joint after each Winter event,something is either definitely wrong,as in you don't have any seals left or you just like to over-grease big time.I thought I was a grease fanatic but this is way over the top.

12. sno commander

from ct

i agree spicers are the bomb, the 2nd gen used them and they lasted alot longer than the aam junk.

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

How so? I pump until grease starts to purge from the joint or from the seal. Then I stop. If the grease that's purging is rusty and/or water starts to come out I'll pump a few more. On a good day the driveshaft U-joints will take 8 and the steering U-joints and ball joints will take 12 to 15. The MOOG trackbar usually only takes about 5 or 6. I'd much rather be accused of over greasing than under greasing. We're talking fractions of a cent per pump to protect labor intensive components. Some of these components have over 150,000 miles on them, but you tell me I'm doing something wrong? To each their own, I'm an over greaser because I've seen what happens when you arent.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. sno commander

from ct

anybody have good luck with greasable precisions from napa?

15. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

How many pumps every event?!?!?!?!?!? Holy crap i dont use that much every 5k miles.

Over greasing is almost as bad as not doing it at all, If the grease is coming out of the seal then stuff can get in them also. The reason you have to grease all the time is you've ruined your seals, you should stop pumping when the seal starts to swell up not when its got grease flying everywhere

16. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I don't even use that much on the tow trucks or big rigs I used to drive...per component anyways.

17. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Come on now, who said anything about Grease flying everywhere? I'll maybe get a small ammount to purge out but I'm not wiping the stuff off with a spatula. I'm also getting minimal spin off on the body and frame around the driveshafts.

Bah, just let me be greasy will ya? I'm not hurting a darnned thing with the way I'm greasin. It's just the nature of my truck and the mileage on it. Never had to grease one as much before, but I don't mind doin it. Been greasin the same way I was taught at vo-tech for hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles ranging from 500 to 500,000 miles. These are automotive U-joints and various ball sockets, not high performance wheel bearings or pump bearings that can be easily damaged by over greasing. With the lithium complex grease I'm using I shoot for a 90% fill on U-joints and 100% fill on Ball sockets. Technically and also as a rule of thumb, there is no way to "overgrease" a U-joint. Doesn't matter what my or your opinion is, the technical data and the vo-tech manual states that you cannot over grease a U-joint.

Yea, I ran a set for a short while in an overtaxed Dana 30 with 37" tires bolted up. Not sure what company is actually making them but they lasted through a whole summer of wheelin. Blew the pass side joint out that fall driving the Jeep to storage at my parents place. I would say they held up better than I expected.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  18. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Not to COMPLETELY hijack this thread. But I'm here in Minnesota and you'll never believe what I found on.....the internet.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Federal_Mogul_Driveline_FAQ.pdf

19. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Thats what I replaced mine with. I got over 120,000 miles out of the stock units.

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, I was thinking ball joints. Sorry about that.