1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u joints 90 f50

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by concreteman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. concreteman

concreteman Junior Member

:help: is there a way to change the front u joints on a 90 f250 with out pulling the pumking a part some body told me i had to pull the hole pumking a part to do the passinger side and then t was told that i do not need to that the axle will just pull out by useing a pry bar :help:
  2. payton

payton Senior Member

you shuld be able to pull the axle shaft with out pullin the pumpking apart.

3. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

the outer two u-joints(right and left side) are fairley easy,remove wheel,brake caliper and rotor/hub assembly.slide the shafts out and r&r the u-joint.the pasenger side shaft will have a rubber boot that covers the splines where the two shafts spline together
    the inside joint on passenger side can be a real PITA,what i do is cut the center of the old u-joint with the torch,then knock the caps out with a air hammer,clean the yokes with emory cloth and use a u-joint press to reinstall the new u-joint.
    yes,the small stub shaft that sticks out of the pumpkin is held in with a snap ring,so if really need to remove the short shaft you have to remove the pumpkin:cry:
  4. payton

payton Senior Member

wow i learn something new everyday ive never tore a new ford front end apart. i never realized they had snap rings.
    was the r-d department of ford on crack when they chose to go this route or what?
  5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

not a snap ring.....c clip...it just slides on like all the other vehicles with c clip rear ends. snap rings are on the outside of the axleshafts by the hubs to retain them from going in.....BTW i just dumped C clip and used a spring to retain the axle shaft up front on mine when i just did my gear swap.....But jsut how it was described earlier on cutting the closeest one out with a torch. The outer shaft on the pass side is hard to get out because the shaft is usually rusted in the slip shaft( under the rubber boot)...
  6. payton

payton Senior Member

yes a c clip correct.. sorry its been rainy here all day so i may have sit at home and finished offa 5th of crown..:eek:
  7. concreteman

concreteman Junior Member

hey thanks guys i should have done this pain in the you know what over the summer and i dont have time to do it now so im going to do some thing i hate to do and pay some one to do it for me thanks for the advise
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Dana probably came up with the bright idea of RT side c clipped in shaft. You could try the "burn out the center and air hammer the cups out route". I have done the job on a Dana 28 & 44 and had to drop the center section each time. I just don't think there is enough room in there to work. Those cups are rusted and are not coming out without a fight. You have to be careful with the torch ,you change the hardness of the yokes with too much heat.