1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U Joint

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I need to replace the u-joint on the front drivers side axel on my 79 Chevy K10, this is the model with the full time 4wd. Had anyone done this, and is it extremely difficult. I've replace all of the steering and suspension components already myself. I'm just wondering if I have to remove the spindle that is held in place by the ball joints?

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

You won't need to remove the ball-joints. After you disassemble the hub assembly and remove the brake caliper and the rotor, you unbolt and remove the spindle. There is a special tool with a slide hammer that threads on to the spindle that makes this much easier. After that the axle will slide right out. A good service manual will make this a much easier procedure and you may be able to rent the necessary special tools from an auto parts store.
  3. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

Its an easy job to do......you will also need the special socket for the spindle nut. A block of wood and a 4 LB hammer work to get the spindle off....just have to keep hitting until it gets loose.

The u-joint itself can be fun to try and remove if you dont have a press.
  4. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

It is a fairly easy job. You will need a Saturday to do both if you haven't done it before. The steering knuckle stays on the axle. The stub spindle is bolted to the knuckle by 6 bolts. These also hold the dust shield on. After you remove tire/wheel, caliper & hub & rotor you will see the bolts. I would suggest replacing the inner seal of the stub spindle too. These I get from the local NAPA parts store. It a small kit with 3 or so pieces for $10 ?. Just remember that most likely the stub spindles have "never" been off so they will need sprayed & beat or Puller. Good Luck..........
  5. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Thanks....I'm hoping to tackle this on monday.

6. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Haven't gotten to the u-joint yet. I was under the truck today and noticed that the joint looks to be about the same size as the hole in the steering knuckle. Is this a tight fit?