1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u-joint maintence!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by motoxdk24, Jan 13, 2006.

1. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

front axle u-joints- my passenger side has lota slop in it. Tearin it down this weekend and doin both sides. Figured it out when i heard it crunching and grinding the other day when i pulled a friend out of the mud in low range.... just remindin everyone to check those u-joints so you dont have any unwanted down time and keep everything nice and greased up-

dano-

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm doing mine soon too(to day or tomorrow) the drivers side is starting to creak now and then.
    I sure like the new Hub, it is much easer job to get to the axles now.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Put in either DANA joints which are sealed or aftermarket greasable ones and grease them regularly. Mopar sealed units don;t last as well and auto store sealed ones are usually crap in my experiances, but DANA factory ones are great. The greasable ones will last as long as you grease them regularly- but if you're prone to forgetting them like I am.....

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The stock U-joints in a Dana axle on Dodge trucks are non-serviceable
    Spicier U-joints. I just replaced one today, on a Dana 60 in a Dodge 2500(8800lb) with a Precision u-joint made by federal Mogul USA, serviceable.
    Total time was 2hr and I stoped to have lunch with the wife. Here are some pics..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008