1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U-Joint help asap please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Jan 20, 2011.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

this mourning i went up to work and sanded came home and put my plow on my personal trusk and went out to clean up some leftover snow from around cars that had moved and stuff. at my last place i heard a grindind like noise but only when i was in reverse thought maybe i had got something in the break but it only happening in reverse didn't make since. as i finished the driveway it started making the noise forward and reverse both in 2 wheel drive and 4. so i'm under the asumption by the noise that it is my U-joints finaly completly crapped out. (they were starting to get some play.) do you think im wrong and it could be something else? But the real part of my question is i have a GMC Sierra 1500 ext. cab short box with the 4.8 and aluminum driveshaft the Kid at autozone looked it up and said he didn't even have a number to order them! so im kinda f-ed with snow on the way for tommorow but i was wondering do the ones for a steel drive shaft fit. or were can i get the ones i need do i have to suck it up and go to the stealership? and what could happen if i just run it long enough tommorow to do my plowing i only have 5 or 6 driveways that i do with it.

thanks in advance and sorry for any spelling/punctuation problems
  2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

How many miles on them? Mine called it quits at 72,000 (rear joint, rear shaft) Stealership will probably install the "Sealed for death" type it came with(no zerks). I did my own, and made sure they had grease fittings. Good luck with it!
  3. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

Check the pinion nut on the rear differential as well. I had the same noise which started in reverse and I couldn't find the problem until the driveshaft came off doing 50.
  4. outlaw66

outlaw66 Junior Member

we see alot of chevy 1/2 tons with a noise similar, starts in reverse and gets worse and it's usally a wheel bearing ready to completely fall apart. if its got oe joints, they may need to be torched out as they were held in with plastic melted around them.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The OE ones had plastic pins, I've drilled them out.