1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u-joint change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Purplerays6, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Purplerays6

Purplerays6 Junior Member

I have a 99 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd and I think the u-joints are going bad. I hear a little clink when I shift into reverse. How hard is it to change these, and do I do all of them? It is the old body style, just like my 88 if it helps.

Thanks

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Could be the rearend too. Here's how you can check the joints.

Chock the front wheels and lift the rear tires off the ground. Put the trans or transfer case in neutral and climb under. Check all the joints. Two on the front shaft, two or three on the rear shaft. You can grab the shaft/yoke on either side of the joint and try to turn them in opposite directions. There should be zero movement at the joint. Spin the shaft a couple of times and look for any play. Check all the joints this way. If you are pulling a shaft to replace one joint, I would do them all.

They are not terribly difficult to change. You can do it with a couple of sockets and a hammer if you have to, but a press is better. You can borrow the ball joint press at AutoZone, it works well.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Dont forget, you may also want to heat them too since GM used that plastic retainer on the back side of the ujoints instead of the clips. Those are a PITA to do, imo

4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

And do not bother with a little propane torch it just will not cut it. It could also be the Yoke into the tranny, I know Chevy had an issue with these , but I do not know the years. On mine 2002. I just live with the clunk. I pack it with grease every fall and it goes away for a bit.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

As for swapping, I just have my local driveline place do them anymore. I've done several, but for like $10 each, its worth it.

6. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I did both of my rear ones last night when I installed a new slip yoke and rear seal. for all that aggrivation I couldn't have got the $20 out of my wallet fast enough

7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

torch is used to heat up the urethane comes out like one of those snake fireworks not cut the u-joint

8. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

LOL, it does look like one of those thing I used to light off as a kid. Should have said a propane torch will not get it hot enough so use oxy/acetyline set up.