1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MLB, Jan 8, 2003.

1. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Been reading up a bit on these and notice that most all of them note to use shoes with them. Since no one uses them here I'm wondering if you go back to them with the U's?
    Also read to keep the blade suspended when parked. Can they warp?
    Supposed to cover them from the sun when storing offseason.
    I emailed some urethane manufacturers to check their pricing for the appropriate sizes and applications.
    What does it cost to ship a 8' piece?? Any reason why 4-2' sections wouldn't work just as well? (if shipping is high for the long piece).
    I think these look great, but here in the midwest where the snow is IFFY I can't justify spending 300.00 when my $45 steel edge will last 5 years. :)
    FWIW:drinkup:

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Our edges are used with out the shoes. And I store them just like a steel edge. They are on the plow 365 days a year. Call me with any questions and for pricing.
    Dino 860-608-1842
    Also if you do a search alot of info is available in other threads. Saves me from retyping, and from the other members having to re read.

3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I dont use feet and the blade is allways stored on the edge... no problems... Dino's edges (MPT) are the Best

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Same here. Park em with the plow on the ground. (I'd rather have a warped edge than have it drop on someone's foot in the event it fell by accident) Store em on the plow for the summer, but the area where they are stored is mostly shaded, so I do have that covered for the most part. No problems that I know of. I can't say Dino's are the best, because I've never tried any other brands. But I also haven't had any problems with them either, so I recommend MPT brand.

Forgot, never used door stops with them either. If you look at the directions from the steel edge manufacturers, they probably also say to use shoes. ;)

5. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I have aquestion about uedges and poly edges. Do they scrape just as well as steel blades? Like if there was some packed snow on a residential drive from tire marks, would the poly edge scrape just as well?

6. MLB

MLB Senior Member

I read everything. I ask the questions that I didn't see asked or answered.

7. MLB

MLB Senior Member

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The scraping question is the biggest concern with first time users. IMO they scrape as well as steel, they back drag 2x as good as steel.But of course I sell them, so my opinion may be jaded. so I foofer the following if for any reason you buy an edge and you are not happy with it, I will buy it back. That means even if you dont like the color.
    I treat the u edge just a like steel edge, probably worse. Whatever way you store,park, run or use a steel edge MPT u edges can be used the same way.
    Dino

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Dino,

Do MPT urethane edge comes available in black color?

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I dont know what other colors they come in,I really do not care.To me it isnt necessary to match colors,so long as the equipment is sound,and looks presentable,who cares.I have actually grown to like the yellow,it stands out,and attracts a lot of attention every where i go.No walks past my Boss V with giving it a once over,this usually starts a conversation about them,and plowing.

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes John, I know what you mean, but how would you like the look of yellow urethane edge on Fisher silver X-blade snowplow?

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think it would look cool on the X Blade,as it's kinda bland,kinda industrial.Yellow would make it look more like a fisher.Just my opinion.

13. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Boy that would catch attention.... Id love it.... It would look good in front of my silver ram.

14. John DiMartino

Actually Id slap it right on there.Yellow/silver no problem,it'll look great.I never even ran the factory edge on my Boss last yr,it has never pushed snow with a steel edge,yeah it dont look as good,but like I said,I really dont care to much,its just a plow,and the yelow edges are so smooth,and forgiving.The plow is only on during/after a storm and they are usually covered in snow/road salt anway.

15. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I have just decided a U edge is worth trying. Are you awake? I will call now and set this deal up or call me with in the next 1/2 hour.

16. KenP

KenP Senior Member

How much would it cost to upgrade to a U edge for a 2002 Western MVP, complete soup to nuts ? Are they as forgiving as I've been hearing and do they really do as good a job as a steel edge? What would you say the weight diff. is between the steel and the U?

17. John DiMartino

Ken,try on one the V,you;ll love it.They are extremely forgiving,no more harsh slamming of the truck,even on bumpy,uneven gravel drives,or with expansion joints,it glides right over them,it glides right over lawns too,unless its thawed out,it will not tear them up.I run mine right into the 8" high curbs and plo down them at 10 mph,rubbing the whole way,it gives new meaning to the word cleaning curb to curb.I will not go without them now,they are that good for me.

18. KenP

KenP Senior Member

My phone finger is getting itchy to make the call. How much are they? I do know all about cleaning curbs with the steel blade, I've had a few kidney shakers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  19. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

how long do they last?

20. John DiMartino

So far i have barly scratched mine,3rd yr with 7.5 straight blade,and second on the boss V,1st yr on the fisher 7.5 on friends truck,they broke in ratehr quick,but id have to sat they last at least twice as long as steel from what ive seen.My western has about 210 plowing hrs on it,its hardly scratched at all.Boss has about 80-100 hrs, it isnt worn worth mentioning yet,if and when it wears i can just drop them an inch and redrill new holes,and get another couple hundred hrs out of them.