1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u-edge to steel edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossplower, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Has anyone gone from using the U-edge back to a steel edge?
    I think my steel does a little better job .

2. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I just yanked off my u-edge for a little while to do some hardpack scraping. My fisher doesn't backdrag worth a darn (steel or u-edge). I can scrape down better with the steel right now, but I think the change in angle (plow sits lower without the u) has something to do with it also. My base angle was not 'broken in'. Also, my u- edge has yet to wear down flat, so it should continue to improve.

I can't wait to put the u back on though. Much easier to do gravel, you do much less damage to lawns and you can skip over grade changes or low curbs with no problem. I know you can just be much more careful to avoid all that, but with a u edge, you can just move quicker and don't have to worry about it.

I am going to have a backdrag blade attachment made up soon and will try it with the u -edge on front. That should be the hot ticket.

I think the u-edge still has many benefits. You also realize how quiet it was when you go back to steel. Also noticed my fisher trips much much more with steel. I think I tripped it more in one event with stell , than 10 with the u.
  3. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Can't win no matter what you do. The steel is loud, and trips a lot. works better on back dragging. u is easier on pavement, resid. customers ask for it. I use the steel because I am afraid that the rubber will not scrape down all the way and I will have complaints.

other option is a rubber on your ft. blade and steel on a rear plow.