1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u-edge shovel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by butler L&S, May 5, 2003.

1. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

Has anyone ever seen a push shovel with a U-edge? It would be nice to have a shovel that would last 5 years. I'm lucky if I get 5 snow events out of 1 plastic shovel.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a great idea. Never thought about urethane edge snow shovel. Hmmm.... I might try and make one, then patent it. :D It would be nice to have one. I hate it when those poly and metal shovels would jam when you hit uneven stone sidewalk, unfrozen ground, nail heads sticking out of wood deck. Sometime when you hit something unexpectly hard, the shovel handle would hit your chest. My favorite curved poly shovel is badly worn, it is torn 1/2" on one end and 1" on the other end. I would have to cut off those worn edge with a saw so it can still be used. Adding an urethane edge would be sweet.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

For unpacked snow, it is hard to beat a floor squeegee. They go right over nail heads, gaps in stone, etc. They are good for up to about 3" of snow on walks and steps. I am not talking about the common 1" tall soft rubber with the bent ends to contain liquids, but rather the taller (3") firmer rubber.

A U Edge shovel would not work IMO, because the U edge acts like a squeegee, and needs to be standing straight up to have the proper AOA. Using it on a shovel to scrape would not work, IMO.

A Better choice is a riveted on steel edge that can be replaced on shovels. They typically come with a very thin metal edge. I replace them with a piece of 1" flat stock, 1/8" thick. It adds a little weight to the shovels, but it scrapes good, and wears long. My personal preference is a short aluminum pusher type shovel, with a steel edge. I put a steel edge on a steel pusher, and it is just too heavy.

~Chuck

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here is a pic of my favorites. In the back on the left, is a blue steel pusher. Not my favorite, but it works. Next to it is an aluminum pusher that I put a steel edge on. The steel is mounted on the back side of the shovel using annealed steel rivets. I countersunk the holes in the steel so the rivet heads don't wear off. On the face of the shovel I used fender washers on the rivets. In the center of the shovel you can see I repaired where an original rivet pulled through the face of the shovel with a 1/4" - 20 bolt and fender washers.

In the front is the squeegee on the left, and a "Mutt" on the right. The Mutt is great for ripping up floor tiles and shingles, cutting roots, and peeling up ice.

~Chuck

shovels.jpg

5. cos

cos Junior Member

I actually think the blue plastic shovel that I bought at Home Depot is the best investment I have made by far on shovels. I bought several. That mutt looks like something I would like to try for ice.

6. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Have you guys ever thought of purchasing Craftsman snow shovels/pushers, etc.?

As long as they are "Craftsman" (not Sears), they are 100%exchangeable at any Sears store, regardless of what you believe is a faulty tool. I purchase ALL stick tools from Sears, you buy Craftsman hand and stick tools once............ then exchange the rest of your lifetime (until lost or stolen)!

ChicagoSnow

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Craftman may make a good homeowner tool, but unfortunately they're sold by Sears. I told a Sears salesman in 1981 that I'd never buy anything from Sears again in my life. :gunsfiring:; Sears bought an auto parts store a few years ago that I liked. Never bought from that store again and can't even remember what it was called.

8. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Good call Mick. Sears sucks and they do not stand behind their products. I've had one too many bad experiences there and will never go back.

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Crapsman? :D

10. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

What would you "shovel" guys want in a U shovel? How about a edge that we could make that would have the ability to come off the shovel for summer use? It would be a shovel edg instead of a plow edge.....

I'll sook at the feasibility of the idea and discuss it with the Engineers at MPT.

If we decide to make a few samples, we will need some evaluators to give us some guidence as to how they work and what is needed to make them better.

This is how we did our plow edges, spinners and other products and will continue to do so in the future.

We eill then see how long it will take for our competitors to put their knock offs on the market......

vince

11. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I'll step up here..... First, the edge should have the abilty to scrape clean. Considering that you are talking about a general flat shovel edge, and not a snow shovel specific edge. So if mud gets packed on a sidewalk, the edge should be able to scrape that up clean. It should be able to scrape up crushed stone that was dumped on pavement clean too.

For snow use, the shovel (edge) should have the ability to chop hard packed snow off walks. Not ice, but hard packed snow. It should be durable, and work at any temperature laborers would be willing to work in. It should not add too much weight to the shovel, making it awkward to use, or increase fatigue too much. It shouldn't cost more than the shovel itself. It should attach to the shovel in a way that does not allow it to tear off easily.

The hardest part would be drilling through a tempered steel shovel to mount the edge....

~Chuck

12. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Favorite shovel here is a wide, wide, wide rascal. About 40" width. Great for cleaning up plow trail offs with a minimum number of passes. Obviously lousy for "lifting", but for pushing smaller amounts out from around cars/general lot cleanup, it's been great. Widest shovel I had ever seen, and I couldn't pass it up. Glad it went on the truck - wondered how I ever lived without it. Lots of other shovels in the arsenal, since one works best on steps, and I like this one for scraping, and that one for digging, etc...., but the wide one seems to get the most work done in the least time. :) Steven

13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I usually just go into Home Cheapo or other and buy a bunch of the most expensive one they have at the time. I used to buy the cheapest thinking there an expendable item, but figured out that the more expensive fancier ones definitely lasted 2-3 times as long as the cheap ones. I got tired of having to buy them more than once per season or every season based on how bad it was. So now I have a whole bunch of different ones because they never sell the same type\brand year after year (or now every 2-3 years between purchases). So my situation is like GMC's - "Lots of other shovels in the arsenal, since one works best on steps, and I like this one for scraping, and that one for digging, etc....,"

When I first read this thread I was thinking I would actually maybe try this. I know I have some shovels almost ready for disposal because the metal edges are shot. I have some 1" thick pieces of urethane that I used to have on my Pro Wings. I might cut some into strips, with maybe a little bevel, and replace the metal edges to see what happens. Men - have tools, will play. LOL