1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

u edge mounting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CARDOCTOR, May 30, 2003.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

whats the best way to mount the u edge

big washers , steel edge ?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have found that using the existing worn steel edge to be the easiest, most secure way to mount them. The holes are already in it so everything lines up nice. The old edge is thick enough to hold the U edge in place.

3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I tried the large washers and they didn't work. The edge is so flexable stones and dirt build up between the bolt holes under the edge. I have a piece of flat steel that I am remounting it with.
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I am interested in buying a u-edge for next season. How do all you guys who use them like them. How would they work on a 8ft Meyer snowplow.pumpkin:
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Come on now Meyer2228, I know you've been here long enough to know the answer to that one: Hit the ole Search button to find tons of opinions about them. ;) One of the ones I have, which there are many posts about in those threads is on an 8' Meyer.
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I know that a lot of people use them on here and like using them. i just thought i'd bring it up because i really haven't looked into it till yesterday. I plow roads and driveways soo i really wanted to look into them after seeing how happy you guys are with owning them. They look like a great product and i can't wait till i get one. :nod:
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

One of my subs has a U-edge. It is great for plowing dirt and gravel. It works OK plowing pavement that has been treated with Mag Chloride before the storm. It is not as effective on straight blacktop, specially if their are any tracks in it before you plow.
    Nice and quiet though. :angel:

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

that just ruined my day
    i was just getting ready to order one but if tha thats case
    maybe ill just order a metal edge

most of my plowing are parking lots

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Cardoctor, I think you still could get U-edge that would work on blacktop. You would have to get the harder type edge, most likely the type designed for highway plow - high speed edge. Probably orange edge I would say.
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I don't think i need a u-edge if it don't work as good on pavement. i mainly snowplow paved roads and paved driveways. i do have a couple of dirt driveways. i think i should stick to a metal cutting edge. thank yous guys for your help.:nod:
  11. wxmn6

meyer22288, you obviously did not read my post to Cardoctor. I said that I think the harder type edge, which I believe is orange edge, would be suited for plowing mainly paved driveways and roads.
  12. wxmn6

Also, have you done what BRL told you to do? Do a search on "urethane edge". I have been doing extensive researching last night and today, and I found out that most of the users claimed that u-edge scraps just about as well as the steel edge. So do not base your decision on just one comment. As long as your A frame is nice and level, instead of sloping upward (which would cause the blade to be easier to ride over hardpack), it should not have a problem scraping hardpack. Only thing that I read that u-edge did not scrap as well as steel edge was with ice mixed with snow. Sometime it is like "cement type" snow. When the temperature are below freezing and the snow/ice is really wet, they turned solid. Sometime steel edge cant scrap either. I would not be too concerned about that because there is nothing you can do about it, but just to salt heavy then plow the slushy melted stuff. I think urethane would do better in plowing slushy snow than steel edge. This information is based on what I have researched and learned from this forum.
  13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Yes i did some research on the u-edge. I just want to hear as much as i can about them before i buy one. I will take the orange edge into consideration also. I will do some research on that.
    thank you for your help :)