1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U edge has to go

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by butler L&S, Feb 13, 2004.

1. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I'm taking my U edge off tonight and putting the steel back on. It has been a love hate thing with this edge. It works great when the snow is wet and heavy. It also works great when the snow has not been driven on. As soon as there is hardpack I hate it. It does not "bite" like a steel edge does. It floats over the top and does not clean very well. When I run a Boss V with a U edge next to a Western V with the steel in the same lot the steel always cleans better when there is hardpack.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What type U edge?

What thickness?

Are you running a worn down steel edge BEHIND the U edge?

What did you use in FRONT of the U edge to bolt through?

Hardpack is difficult for ALL plows. I will be installing a U-Edge soon for ONE reason and ONE reason ONLY!........To protect from hitting obstructions, as the BOSS V plow CAN'T trip.

Did you find that it does this?

How did you work out the center section, or do you have a newer BOSS with the hoof?

Thanks.

3. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I got the edge from someone on this site (Dino). It is 1.5" thick and yellow. I used a piece of 2 inch stock in front of the edge to hold it on.
    I have plowed over 150 hours with the edge so it has been well broken in. It saves alot of wear and tear on the truck and is very quiet, but the hardpack issue is driving me nuts. I know hardpack is difficult for all plows but the U edge does not clean as well as steel.

4. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Interesting. I thought I was the only one that was not happy with the U edge. The center hoof tore off after less than 20 driveways (Dino said he would make it good but have not heard back from him). Also, after back dragging, the U edge won't cut thru the snow you just drug and drove over. If anyone wants a U edge for a Boss 8-2 V let me know. They are leaning against the wall in my shop.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You guys got me worried now.

I have 2 new BLACK U-edges I bought from Dino for my 8.2 sitting in my garage for over a month now. Haven't had the time to switch over yet, but after hearing all the negatives......

All I want is to be able to plow more confidently over possible obstructions that would bend up the plow with my steel edges (ie: 1/2" tall manhole covers, storm drains, concrete edges). They KILLED my original plow, and now I plow like a granny over unknown areas, would like to be able to glide right over top without flying through my windshield!

Scraping has never, and will never be as good as a straight blade, and any hardpack is reason enough for salt anyway. Is this the ONLY drawback with the U-edges on a BOSS V ?

I'll GLADLY take a little less scraping ability for the benefit of being able to plow over slightly raised objects that you'd have a hard time tripping over when walking! Face it, BOSS's cant trip, so U-Edges are like a dream come true for my BOSS V, no?

Lets hear it!

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

My boss trips fine in all positions.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Straight blade BOSS then, right?

Because with a BOSS V it is physically impossible for it to trip if you hit an object with the trailing wing edge.

Only time it'll trip is in the V if you hit nose on, or if you hit in the straight postion. ALL other postitions, your gonna go flying!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  8. Chris Marino

Chris Marino Junior Member

I ordered u-edges from Dino in the beginning of Dec and just recently recieved them. After waiting that long the edges arrived without the centers for my v-plows. Very frustrating to say the least.

Chris Marino

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Centers, what centers?

What brand V-Plow?

All I was promised and expected to get was 2-4' sections of BLACK Urethane edge predrilled. The delivery was timely and as promised. Couldn't ask for more from Dino.

He did send a 12" yellow piece of 1" thick by 6" tall urethane, for what I don't know?

I don't know what other brand V-Plows use for a center section.

For me, I'm used to NOTHING between my blades, so that little trail between the blades is something I've had to deal with since day one. Closes up tight in the scoop position.

10. Chris Marino

Chris Marino Junior Member

western v plows

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If anyone has any issues at all with our products, feel free to contact me at any time.
    Dino

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

My boss 9'2" v blade trips in all positions. V, scoop. straight, angled left, or right. Could the trip springs be to tight?? When it trips in scoop, its not pretty, and the v just makes the plow bounce.

13. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I have Boss V plows and the u-edge works great for going over manhole covers and driveway berms. If your are looking to protect your plow and truck I think the u-edge is the way to go .

Steve Snider

14. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Running the u-edge on a straight blade Fisher and it absorbs the shock of low curbs (~1/2" at the end of driveways), manhole covers, etc. Fisher barely trips, u-edge takes all the shock. In that respect the edge is great. In residential, saves a ton of time since you don't have to worry about lawn damage.

Doesn't do the hardpack as well as steel, agreed. Going to give a backdrag edge a try to solve that for driveways.

15. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I love the way my steel edge has worked for me. I see no point in even trying the u edge at this point.For the great scape it gets i dont mind being extra careful near curbs.

16. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I just put my black uedge on and I love it really absorbs alot which is great. Hey TIMM9 let me know how much you want for your uedge and are they the black or yellow? Its a shame I think its a great product!

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

By design, a BOSS V-Plow CAN'T trip in any position that either wing extends out PAST the center vertical hinge.

That entire center section hinge HAS to pivot/trip FORWARD when an obstruction is encountered.

Lets say your plowing a road, angled to the right, and you hit something (say a 1" tall manhole cover) midway down your drivers side (inboard/retracted) wing. That center hinge CANNOT pivot forward, the extended (drivers side) wing is out and will prevent it from pivoting. The WHOLE plow would have to raise up and the leading edge (drivers side) would have to touch and the trailing edge would be a foot in the air (virtually impossible).

This is EXACTLY how I bent up my plow 2x's back in the mid 90's.

Only positions it can trip in is the STRAIGHT position (which it does perfectly) or sometimes in the V position if you hit your obstruction with the tip of the V. The further out past straight your wings are, the less it has the ability to trip.

So, on normal straight blades, I probably would see no personal reason or use for a U-edge, except for paver or delicate driveways, as straight blades ALL trip beautifully at ANY angle.

But with a BOSS V, the idea is to smoothly skim over and absorb small obstructions, and slightly cushion big ones.

Later this week I will hopefully be installing my New BLACK U-Edge on my Boss 8'2" V-Plow.

I feel much better now that I got that out! :D

18. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

The U edge does absorb alot of the shock and does less damage on turf. Scraping hardpack is my ONLY ussue with the U edge. I have several lots that I plow the day following a snowfall and they are all packed down (apartment complexes) and the U edge is nothing short of dissapointing on these lots.
    When we get more than 4" we go through all my lots and "open up" then come back after snow has ended and do "final plow". During this "open up" period the U edge works awsome. It's when I come back to do final plow and the lot has been driven on that I have a problem with the U edge. I wish I could have a quick connect to change from U edge to steel.
    I will probably put my U edge back on in March so I don't do as much turf damage when the ground softens up.

Like I said before, its a love hate thing.

19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like my steel cunttin edge

20. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

are you guys pretreating
    im leaning towards putting a u-edge on my c-8
    raised manhole covers suck
    john