1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U edge For Pavers? What about

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alternative, Mar 1, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

if i get a u edge for the paver job i landed next year. How fast will it wear if i do my other non paver jobs with it. I cant be changing from steel to rubber every time i plow. Do these edges last>? and are they expensive? Any opinions? THanks

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

We run the Polar Edges. Switched to them this season. They are quite a bit more expensive than steel, but also have a lot of advantages. Cost is about 3X more than steel, but they are quiet to the point where you can have your windows down and listen to the radio on a low volume. You can't hear the edge. We plow town roads, so it's nice when the edges roll over manhole covers, don't slam on catch basins, etc. They scrape to the pavement as good as the steel. The town has about 13 miles of new asphalt that was just laid down in the fall. A steel edge would likely rip up some of that aspahlt as it really hasn't had enough cure time, but the poly edge rolls right over with no chunking or tear ups. Wear is better than steel. I had a poly edge on at the beginning of the season on my truck, it ran low, I did not have time to re-drill the holes to lower it so I threw on a steel edge. I got about three storms out of the steel, but it was tougher on the truck, as you can feel the resistance, and it was loud. I just changing plows and the one I put on has the poly edge. I ran it during the storm last night and I was happy to be back to poly. I could hear again.

We have installed some paver drives, and the steel will work, but the poly will be much better. Keep in mind too that there are different mfg's of poly edges and they're not all the same.

Hope this helps.

3. alternative

Which edge works best for a paver lot? And like i said, is the wear extensive if i use this plow with (poly edge) on all my lots? Thanks (also average cost for a 7.5 edge)

4. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Hey John thanks for the info Does Polar Edges have a web site? Who make them? Sounds like this would be a good investment as I currently do a lot of work in an area of new builds and these paver drives are becoming popular.
    Thanks
    Ken

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Here's the link for Polar Edge. They are made by Superior Tire.

6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We have used both the Artic Groomer from MPT (http://www.sarbek.com/ice_snow/index.shtml) and the Superior edge for the Blizzard. Love both. There is no way I would plow without one. Less wear, less noise.

7. alternative

Thanks, any idea what a 7.5 edge 3/4" thick costs.. or even an 8' ?

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

The edges are 1.5 inches thick, not 3/4". An 8' will likely be about $300-$350.

9. alternative

Thks for the info ...