1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

U-edge ? about specific brands.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, May 20, 2003.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I've read all I need about about the positives about U-edges & decided that I plan on picking one up prolly at the symposium.
    Before I ask about prices & have someone bring an extra one up here, I have some questions:
    What is the brand of choice?
    Is one brand better then the other or are they all about the same?
    Good / Bad about specific ones?
    What brand's will take the most abuse, last the longest, scrape the best, work with my Western V plow & is the best bang for the buck?
    Also may be intrested in purchasing a black blade, how about info on U's for them too?

Thanks in advance guys....
  2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Yeah I got grass. Honestly wish it was snow. Hate to mow more than plow but you guys have to make money in the off season too.

As for U edges there are lots of options out there. So far I've run MTP and Superior edges and put them out for customers.

Havent tried the orange MTP yet, I've got to get some for this year, but the Blue and Yellow are far too flexible and wear too fast for me.

The Superior edge has been super on the blades we've put them on. Started to stock them because the demand is increasing. The Western V's require some adjustment for the amount hanging down but 1.5-2" seems to work well in most conditions. You can also put a piece in the back in place of the rubber piece that is on the plow between the trip edges.

I haven't put any U's on back blades but I know they will do a nice job at reducing scrape marks. I will be putting one on my Sidewing plow and may put one on my back blade this year too.

See you in Buffalo.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I can only speak for MPT edges but IMO they are great. In fact I have a few left over from last season that I can swing you a great deal on. Call me at 860-608-1842
    I am getting at least 2 full seasons from an edge, vs about 5 storms with the factory steel edges.
  4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

5 storms... what the heck you plowing on ?? We'd get 1/2 a season out of ours (about 20 pushes). Now... the U-Edges we have been using our our Pushers have been on for two years, and have not shown significant signs of wear.....

Won't vouch for one manufacturer or another at this point as we've been using two types this past season - but our experience with U-Edges (for the most part) has been really quite remarkable.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I put about 60 hours on an MPT 1.5" thick yellow edge, on a Sno Way plow this winter, and there was no sign of any real wear. No sign of wear on MPT edges, same thing, yellow 1.5" thick on a couple of pushers, with about 60 hours on them too. Only the AOA was worn slightly.

I have never seen an edge from Superior, so I cannot comment on them. I know not all poly is created equal, so they may be better, worse, or the same. :confused: (BIG help, I know...)

On this site, most that have U edges, have MPT. It will be interesting when more buy Superior edges, then we can get some real data to compare the two brands.

6. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

There are several types of polyurethanes available for various applications. We at MPT have directed our efforts towards the snow and ice industry rather than some of the areas that our competitors use urethanes.

We at MPT have responded to the need for urethane edges with several types of compounds designed for specific use on various weight plows and applications.

We have unlike our competitors responded with a just in time type of delivery system to our clients with the quickest turn around time possible.

We also have priced our product to be the best value for your dollar for the application. We offer the best price because we can produce the best product and ship it sometimes the same day which most of our competitors can not do.

We have also developed urethane systems for these applications that do not require the typical cancer suspect agents that are used in most of the applications.

We at MPT have maintained over the past 6 years that if the edge didn't work for you send it back and it will cost you nothing.

We also work with our clients, dealers and original equipment manufacturers to develop the best system for the application and at the best cost.

There are several factors to look at when selecting your u edge, and the MPT edge has been out there in major airports and airforce bases doing the job for the operations. Look at what the cost per foot is costing you, what is the warranty situation and what if you didn' t like it could you send it back and get your money back with out paying a stocking fee?

Check around and see who the satisfied users are year in and year out. Make sure the information your getting isn't from soneone who is selling edges and/or spinners and get theirs for free and now boasts of the performance of the item because it didn't cost a cent.

Check with the Original Equipment suppliers through their purchacing agents and find out who the bulk of them by their spinners from and the answer from about 85% of them will be MPT.

We discount all our products all year round by selling the edges and spinners at a price that everyone can afford. Check around and you will all come to the conclusion the the OEM's came to, MPT for spinners, edges and all kinds of construction parts.

Look for our new line of industrial and lawn and garden tires that run flat free and require no air and perform like pnumatic tires without the hassle of flats.

7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We use,(and love), the MPT products (see the prior thread on this subject for details). When choosing your edge it is very important to analyze what you are plowing, if you do open road, rough pavement, you should probably talk to Vince and Dino about their new orange edge.

We have used the 1.5" yellow with no real wear or trouble, in 3 seasons, the latest with over 60" of snow. (we plow neighborhoods, apartment complexes, and residential). We did some very slight damage to the edge when we got conned into rescuing a fool at a movie theater with a trashed parking lot.

When installing, follow the installation guidelines, particularly on a V-plow, and use grade 8 bolts to secure the edge.

Finding grade 8 stove bolts in the right size has been the only challenge we've had since the fastener crowd doesn't have much call for them.
  8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Dino, Like John said what the heck are you plowing that kills the edges in 2 storms?
    Original steel on my MVP has lasted 2 seasons so far & I Imagin I could get at least another year out of it.
    I hope to pick up quite a few more $$$ contracts this year, but who knows. I plow mostly res. drives, & there is a possibility of picking up a few paver drives.
    Main reason I want to make the switch to the U-edge is to eliminate the scrape marks the steel leaves on the pavement.
    A couple customers complained about it this year. Pavement no big deal they can reseal the drive but concrete is another story.
    Even if the customer doesn't complain, I still don't like to see those marks my MVP steel loves to leave.
    No scrapes on your freshly sealed drive could be a marketing tool.

When I pick up these people with $, scratching up paver's will cause more harm to my rep then good, by showing up & scraping every last bit off. I love to see bear pavement & hate to leave a job with snow pack.

Also the Polly may help in picking up a gas station or two & we all know thats the last place we want to see sparks flying around, especially if ya forget about that fill cover. Or the last guy filling up for his snow blower thought his 2.5 gal can was a 5 gal.

Vince, was that a form letter? lol... some good points tho.
    John, have you had a relatively good experience with MTP edges?
    Jerry, We all wish it was snow season. This spring has been horrible as far as the weather. Customers getting upset because their lawns are a foot high & projects are near impossible. I had to attempt to grade a small area yesterday. normally 3-4hrs took 4hrs today & i'm only 1/2 way done... of course the slate slab I found buried 2",laid on top of a cement slap, didn't help to speed up the process.
    Oh well.... The off season has it's positives too... More time to learn about the industry, time for the symposium, & a chance to work on getting those contracts for next year.
    If it snowed all year round people wouldn't freak out when it did snow, they would all buy 4x4's, boots, & plows would replace AC at a standard feature.

Seems like the brand of choice here is MTP, Jerry, Dino, Vince, any of you bringing some up here next month? How much is one for a 8.5 MVP? E-mail me greatone@adelphia.net as I know this isn't the place to discuss pricing.

Thanks guys....
    Last edited: May 22, 2003
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

ok, so I couldn't sleep & logged on for a bit... my eyes arn't quite open fully yet. I'm still having trouble getting back on a normal humans schedule. After getting up almost every night to look out the window & check the radar images.

5 storms vs. 2 seasons not 2 storms & so on....
    I've seen the blue around here a lot. What is the difference between the blue & the yellow?
  10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My OEM edge from western was a 3/8" x 6" edge, and I would get about 50 plowing hours of use out of it. That was my experience, all on asphalt and with 14000 lbs pushing behind it. At the time I was also plowing a 2 mi access road at higher speeds maybe 15-20 mph, so wear was accellerated from that I am sure.
    That being said I would definately look at the orange or blue type edges, the yellow seems a bit to flexible for v plows.
  11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Got Grass, doing parking lots eats up the MVP edges fast. The one I posted pics of in the "Western Plow Cracks And Creases" thread, had two plowings of one (13 acre) lot last season, and was wearing into the base angle half way through this past season. From the front the edges look like they have plenty of meat, but they only have about an inch of overhang past the base angle, which was worn away mainly on the ends.

12. John Allin

Overall, our experience with MPT U-edges has been positive. We DID have a problem out in Salt Lake, but MPT stepped up and worked with me to ascertain the problem and to make it right.

Every manufacturer has problems... some large, some small, some their fault, some not. I measure a manufacturer by how they respond to the inevitable problems - not by the problem itself. MPT has responded well to my needs and to the occassional problems that have arisen in the past.

Some people are never satisified with the response from the manufacturer, no matter what that response might be. It's happened to me. Some people cannot be satisfied. That being said, my overall experience with MPT has been satisfactory and we shall continue to use their products. That doesn't mean we don't look at competitive products (and we do use other manufacturer products from time to time), and we do evaluate other manufacturers products (both at their request and from curiosity to see if there's a better mousetrap out there).

Got Grass..... I hope that answers your question.
  13. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We at New York Snow Pros have had excellent results with our MPT edges. We have them on our Boss V plows, ProTech pushers, and our Henke 16' plows.

Good Luck
  14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Well unfortunately it seems most here have used only MPT, so it will be hard to have a great discussion of which brand is best for urethane, like we can for which plow is best ;) From what I've read & heard talking to others & through PMs, there are good quality brands & bad quality brands, just like with plows & everything else we buy. I haven't been able to get the names of these other brands though so I can't help with that. Some people that I know have tried other brands with less than desirable results, but I don't see them posting here with those brand names (plus it's our off season here at the forum ;) ) The one thing I did notice was that the less than desirable brands were also considerably cheaper to purchase (half the price of MPT in some cases), so it sounds like the classic case of you get what you pay for. I have posted plenty about my urethane experiences & the ones I am using are the yellow ones from MPT. They have plowed everything from 15 acre size lots down to driveways, made3 of concrete, asphalt & gravel. One of theedges has over 400 hours of plowing & the other one around 300 & I still haven't had to lower them. So they will far outlast the 150 -200 hours I would get out of steel edges on those same lots in the past. Without looking at them now, I believe one will have to be dropped down for nest season, and they have lost a few quarter to half dollar size chunks & nicks, but these are not affecting the performance. They payed for themselves after the first couple of snow storms. Good luck & have fun shopping.
  15. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Where you lost a chunk does it leave a tiny trail or because it's 11/2" thick it still scrapes clean ?
  16. John Allin

Sounds like Bill's been paying close attention to how his U-edges have performed....

Can't beat 'experience' when it comes to recommendations.
  17. BRL

they have lost a few quarter to half dollar size chunks & nicks, but these are not affecting the performance.

Where you lost a chunk does it leave a tiny trail or because it's 11/2" thick it still scrapes clean ?"

That's why I wrote "but these are not affecting performance". I have not had any trail problems, and the nicks & chunks are hardly noticable really (except the one I'll mention later). But now that you asked, I walked out to look at them in storage because I can't remember what they look like LOL. Most of the nicks are not circular in shape, I just used the coins as a reference for sizes. Most of the nicks are also in wierd spots, like the side, or front face instead of in an area on the pavement edge that would leave a trail, which is where I'd also think something would get hit that would cause a problem. So who knows what we're hitting out there in the middle of the night, but the plows & edges are still moving the snow LOL. However, one of them has a 5.5" by 1"-3" pice ripped off of one corner at the bottom pavement edge. When I first saw this during the season I thought for sure I would have performance problems, as I mostly use wings with the plows. Surprisingly, with the wings on, that missing chunk did not leave a trail. Don't ask me how or why, I was just thrilled to see it didn't happen, and that's all that mattered.
  18. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's great :nod: You can flip them over & start on the other edge if needed right :cool:
  19. BRL

Yep. Plus they can be dropped down one or more times before that even. So there are plenty of hours left on those edges.
  20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GG..MIKE...........Thats why ya gotta use those plow shoes!