1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Typical freez-ups

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kenyou, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I have read about all the freezing problems that Meyers have. My questions is for those that have other brands of plows. Do other brands have the same freeze up problems?
  2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

My E47 has never frozen up. It's never outside though unless the truck is being driven and spends winters in a garage that never goes below freezing.
  3. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

My OLD E47 froze up on me after 3-4 10 deg days, but I didnt change the fluid this year. It's outside year round. Changed the fluid and no more problems. My partners boss plows dont seem to have problems with freezeing, but are harder to diagnose and seem to have more electrical problems
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My e-47 sits outside year around. It is 11 years old, and I have never once had it freeze up. I change the fluid in it once a year, just before season, and it is like an enigezer battery, it keeps going and going.
  5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I change the fluid once a year too...I just wait until after it freezes :D This year it was part of the mad daash after the first plowable snow. Next year I'm gonna be ready (maybe)
  6. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

I think 99.9% of freezing problems are due to lack of maintenance. My E-60H froze once when I didn't get to change the fluid before real cold spell won't make that mistake again.
  7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

why a meyer freezes is the wiper seal on the e47 is in weather all the time and the wiper seal will get bad and crack and it wont wipe all the water clean, so all the water that it dosnt wipe clean gets in the pump causing the pump to freeze
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a meyer will never freeze as long a you use meyer fluid(or generic) and change it every pre season.