1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Types of salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dmlandcare, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

I had a customer ask what type of salt we use. I am new to the plowing/salting world, and i didnt know what to tell him. He mentioned that some guys are using this new salt. Didnt know what it was called. Anyway, are there different types of salt used for commercial lots that i should be aware of.

2. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

i just asked this similar question a few days ago and have gotten no responses from anybody. i bought out a lawn n scape company that did snow removal as well this past summer. So i too am new to the industry. The salt i got that was left over from the other companies garage just looks like stuff purchased from a hardware store. i dont know if the people on here use anything different but in a grounds maintenance magazine i just got they had an add for Peladow calcium chloride pellets. do i know if it works? no, ive never tried it. however, if they can advertise in a specialized magazine...they must not be full of too much bullsh*t. i think i might check their prices and availability and give them a try. anyway the fact is, many people on here dont feel like taking the time to help other people out. i have actually been very upset with how unhelpful people can be on here. and im sure if someone reads this other than you and i, ill get someone saying, "you'd be better off if you didnt make fun of the people on the board." but whatever. so im trying to give you my two cents on basically any info i have. best of luck to ya
  3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I just use an icemelt and sand mix or sometimes just straight icemelt. on new concrete u wanna use calcium..
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's hard to tell what your customers are looking for and it's a shame you feel that people here are not helpful. I generally try to answer what I can, but it's just not always what they want to hear. As far as salt, treated salt and other ice-melt products, you want to educate yourself as much as possible. Sometimes you can't go by the color of the salt, since the color only depicts the wholesaler and really doesn't mean much. Here are couple of sites to start: http://www.saltinstitute.org/30.html
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

His number is 616- 293-4064 you will probably get his voice mail but leave Tom a message and he will call you back. The link is now working, helps if I had spelled it right.

Regards Mike
  6. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

I was just at Monroe truck to get parts for my plow and i was looking around and i found a pamphlet that was just about how to make money salting. The people that make the snow-ex spreaders made the pamphlet and it had alot of information in and it alos went of the different types of salt out there and the cost and when it work and all that good stuff. so i dont know if you would wann check out you local dealer that carries snow-ex spreaders they might have one of the pamphlets for you.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Oh?? I went back and looked up all your old posts. You asked about getting into snowplowing and got several good replies, then asked about starting business and get a couple of replies appropriate to the question. Then you asked about insurance costs and apparently didn't get a reply fast enough (24 hours had elapsed) as you asked if this site was a waste of time. But then you got several responses. Then you asked about best and safest deicer. For that you did not get a response and was a couple of days till you gave a sarcastic followup post. I'm not sure of everybody else here, but I don't read every post and really "best and safest" is really up to each individual, their preferences and particular needs of the site. Plus what's available to them.

Let's hope your future questions get what you consider better responses. (Quote "i have actually been very upset with how unhelpful people can be on here") Sorry my advise hasn't been more helpful.
  8. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

Ok Mick, I didnt mean that everyone on this site has been unhelpful. If im not mistaken you have given me responses before and i do appreciate it. maybe its just that ive seen the way some new-comers have been treated and i didnt like it to much. im not on here trying to start a bunch of unnecesary drama. i just wanna get all the info i can so i can do the best job possible this winter for my customers. i appologize if i got you all hot-n-bothered by my previous post. i just remember having like 170+ people look at the posts with 0 replies. thats the only thing i dont like. but anyway, thank you though for helping me and the fellow who started this thread with finding de-icers and diff. types
  9. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

i just remember having like 170+ people look at the posts with 0 replies. thats the only thing i dont like.

Kevin, Just remember that just because 170+ people looked at your post and didn't respond doesn't mean they don't care about you or your problem. I for one looked at your post but didn't feel qualified to give you an answer. I check this site every day and 99% of my time is spent reading not typing. Be patient until some of the "veteran" plow guys like Mick have a chance to respond. I have found their shared wisdom to be very valuable and I think you will too.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  10. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

good point. i like the way you think winged1dur. alright. oh and has anyone ever used the miracle melt ice melt? its a combination of calcium chloride and magnesium pellets. thats what the guy gave me when i bought the business.
  11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey i will jump in here.If your customer's ask what kind you use tell them the best and charge them for it. Kidding salt is salt it my have larger or smaller size's but its still the same it can be treated with many types of chemicals to give it lower effective temps but it cost more. You have many vendors that sell many types of melting products but the three major types of chemicals used are NaCl2 (salt) CaCl2 (calcium cloride)MgCl2(mag cloride) So to mix the types of chemicals can give some better results but you have to take the time to do so or pay someone else to do it for you.Then figure out the mix and charge the customer for the service.Most of the guys just use one type of chemical, after you go thru tons of product in a season you find out salt is salt and it just how much you put down. Hope this help some .....:waving:
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

kevin, have you tried the search feature? some don't reply because the same questions get asked every year and have been answered every year.

With regards to this question, there are so many answers that one doesn't really know where to start. Technically there is only 1 type of salt, sodium chloride. However, there are a multitude of chlorides as well as enchancers for sodium chloride as well as non-chlorides for use as anti and\or de-icers. Someone could spend a whole day just answering this question because it is so vague. Then, you can start mixing these chemicals for different results.

Do a search for Magic salt, Extreme Melt, Caliber, Ice Ban. After doing some reading, see if you can narrow down the questions a little.
  13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

High Dollar, most customers will not pay the money.

Regards Mike
  14. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

I don't want to bust any balls Kevin but you've been a member since June 2004. There has been tons on info posted on all the subjects you've asked about since then. You must have read some of it. Most of the info doesn't change from year to year just the people asking the same questions. By the way Mick rocks doesn't he?