1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Types of Deicers/Anti Icers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MIDTOWNPC, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Im looking to get educated more on the types of anti-icing and decicers that are available.
    I have read alot and thought maybe a list would be in order. This is something I would like to educate my customer on also and perhaps use as an upsell ect. It all started with a customer asking for an eco-friendly product.

Anyone have any input or experience with the specs on the following
    vs rock salt (sodium cloride)
    eg cost vs, temp and enviro effects. what you can and cant use it on.

Magic-salt
    Clearlane
    Urea
    Calcium
    Magnesium

2. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

I found this website in a simple google search. http://www.peterschemical.com/break-the-ice-comparison-of-ice-melting-chemicals/

It seems to me that calcium chloride is the most effective. I am going to try and make some brine of this winter. Carefull of posting stuff without doing a lot of of research on this site it some members will tear you apart. Also try wikkipedia but follow up on there sources.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The salt instite has a good amount. . Alot of the information in this business is difficult to locate especially and you get into the chemisty of things. Most is written for municipl work & you have to know how to convert a lane mile to acre. Unfortunaly locating the information & at least half the battle, & the learning curve in the business. This is the difference (& value) for clients in hiring the guy that "has a plow truck & a dream" & a snow management company that has been around for 15 years. Good luck the info is out there.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Here's my thoughts after using it for two seasons now. First off when the "salt crisis" was here it was a great alternative in terms of price and availability. To get started didn't cost a whole lot and was cleaner to work with. Now, over the past couple seasons rock salt prices have seem to come down to where I don't think there is any clear advantage in price. I bid a lot this year where it was 3 times the cost to spray liquid vs. using rock salt. I know I said in previous posts i'm "going 100% liquid" but thats when I had no means of getting bulk rock salt and was stuck spreading bagged salt at $247.00 a skid. There are a few advantages I think will never compare, first, you don't need a covered salt bin, you don't need expensive heavy equipment to load it and you don't have to worry about it freezing up in your bed. We got started by using a 275 gallon skid tank, a manual shut off valve and some hose, clamps and a couple booms. All that for around 4-500 bucks and we were in business. Last year we upgraded to a large 500 gallon tank, electric shut off valves and transfer pump all for around 1600 bucks (but still a gravity system). This year I could put a actual spray system together using some existing equipment for an additional 1200.00 with a total investment of around 3300.00. Add in the cost of 2-3k gallon storage tanks at 1500 per tank and a grand total of around 6500.00. I am going to keep my liquid system but if we get these places we bid I'll be buying a 2.0 yard V box as I have the means now to purchase and load bulk salt. I'm going to throw actual numbers out there for ya so you can see the differences. We have a parking lot we do and when we salted with bagged salt we used 3- 80lb bags costing us 21.00 in materials. When we used liquid, we used around 40 gallons (probably too much, but its a trial and error thing) but the liquid cost us 8.00 in materials. But if your using bulk salt doing the same lot your cost to salt is probably around 3 bucks if that. As far as working temps. go we have used it in temps. well below 10F with a good outcome, we just had to use a bit more when applying. We used liquid on everything from concrete to pavement and one nice thing I didn't see hardly, if any residue (white crusty stuff) left on parking lots or office carpeting etc. In short it works best as a pre treat tool and or used in conjunction with rock salt. Its a great alternative to bagged salt and def. a great tool to have available, hope this helps.

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

thanks for the posts. I have done alot of reading of technical data. I will try and post a few of the definitions and some of the costs I have seen.

One of my biggest concerns is that I don't do grass work, and Im up against a company that does both grass and snow. Im sure if I get the snow, and there is the slighest bit of a grass issue I will hear it. However, with rock salt and a drop spreader I don't think we are going to have any problem, but other options are what the customer wants and its a great way to expand for me. Knowledge is power ?

Ive looked at the site yesterday after a rain, and there is a good amount of run off on the sidewalks, so melting snow from the roof and areas around will be a concern. This site will need alot of checks and babysitting which should be great $

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The only time we ever had any problems with grass is when it was piled onto an area that we were told to put it there. As far as run off, we never had a problem come spring time and this place got 300 gallon every few nights.