1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Type of tracks for snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Sep 8, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hi guys,
    i was wanting to hear from you guys running track machines for snow work. i bought a NH 185 that has new McClaren tracks on it and hate them. They advertise to be smooth because they have multiple lugs per pitch but i can imagine they are the smoothest. i have since noticed that factory lugs are staggered on each track so that part of a lug is always in contact with the ground...so... what tracks are you running and are the smooth riding. hers what mine look like http://www.mclarenusa.com/nextgen-tdf/nextgen-tdf-series-track-loader-rubber-tracks.html
    steve

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Those tracks suck. Dont expect to get many hours out of them. If you are looking for a track for dirt then go with an alternating lug pattern like the factory style. And save yourself the money and change them yourself. It is way easier then you think and will save you a lot of money

3. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

Polar Tread 2 years on them now and no problems, great in the snow. PM me and I will get you a good connection with a great price....

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2!!

Just bought some about a month ago for my T190. $2500, delivered to my shop and installed at my shop. Planning to take delivery (they are holding them for me till I'm ready to put em on for the winter) end of OCT. Is that a good price?

Reading your posts about them helped in my decision on them. Thanks.

5. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

If they are installing them also then you got a good deal.. I paid 2400.00 for the set on my Ct405 and I put them on. I have to check the exact price but give or take 100.00. The best news of the day is that where this unit plows they just signed for another 3 years........... Gotta get more machines if we get more work, very thankful this year for sure...

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Good for you!! I just signed my first multi year contract with a HOA back in April....Very nice feeling....ecspecially in the beginning of April.

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the replies guys...glad to know you all think they suck too...are the Polar Treads fairly smooth to ride on...
    steve
    EDIT how do these tracks do on turf?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

my experience with tracks is with all the mini skids (toro, vermeer, boxer, kanga) and sorry i've not run them in snow, but..... those that do well on turf (ie, don't reck it) don't do well in mud, gravel. the toro is hands down the best for turf, the boxer just eat up the dirt but left tracks in the grass.

my point is get a set for winter and a set for summer.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

maybe bird21 has a better answer for this, but....I would say that if the majority of your summer work involves treading lightly on turf (light landscaping, mowing/brush cutting etc) , you would be in good shape running polar treads year round.?...For me though - doing excavation, concrete work, and whatever else....I'm better off throwing my oem tracks back on in the spring.

In regards to how they ride...I will give you my opinion when I get them on at the end of the month, or 1rst part of next:nod:. But the people I have talked to that have used them said the softer rubber compound & tread pattern makes for a smoother ride than typical oem tracks.

10. sobriant74

sobriant74 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Polartread tracks rock in the snow

I don't know about prices for getting them installed, since we always install our tracks ourselves, but I have seen the polartread T190 tracks on ebay recently for around $2050 including shipping. These tracks rock and we only bought one set last year to try them out, but this year we have sets for all of our CTL's. Once the snow falls we'll switch to them for the rest of the winter. They do fine on asphalt and mud, and dont tear up lawns/grass either. On ice and snow they just cant be beat. One loading dock we use to tear up by banging our track loader into the walls, etc is now cleaned easily and quickly without any trouble. My two cents.

11. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

if you are plowing on hills tracks DON'T work. its like driving on ice....