1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Type of ATF for Fisher speedcast plow with pulley driven pump?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by avon_jeepman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. avon_jeepman

avon_jeepman Junior Member

I have a Fisher Speedcast snowplow with a pulley driven pump. The pump failed so I ended up buying a new one. Now that I have a new pump, I need to drain the system and put in new fluid.

I was told to use ATF transmission fluid. Has anyone out there had better luck with one brand or type versus another? There are about 8 different choices at my auto parts store plus there is a synthetic available as well. They range in price from $2.19 to over $8.00 a quart. Do you get what you pay for, or do they all work the same in a plow pump?

Thanks,

Duane

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Dextron mercon 2 or equivalent. Watch for the flash points on them though.
    Too high of a flash point and you have a problem with exhaust if you get a leak.

Jerre

3. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

Red, or red:D

4. avon_jeepman

avon_jeepman Junior Member

Dextron II or III

I ended up calling a service number and they said to use dextron II or III. I have the oil, but no more snow to plow.

Thanks for the reply,

Duane

5. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

I used Amsoil ATF and it seems great! It is VERY $$$$ but it seems to be worth it!

Zack