1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Type "A" AFT fluid?????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bassfearmee, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bassfearmee

bassfearmee Junior Member

I just replaced my Fisher belt driven pump and on the label it states to use only type A ATF fluid....went to a couple of parts dealers and they don't know what that is. I found a Dextron universal fluid that is Allis Chambers approved and I'm wondering if the "A" is for Allis Chambers, or if I can use regular ATF fluid in this pump. Thanks, Bob in New Hampshire
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

type a is old scool. as long as you use a good quality atf name brand i dont see a problem. but do not use any type that says type f. this has friction modifyer in it . this will kill your pump fast.

most bottles say in fine print what thay are compatible with for older fluids.
  3. bassfearmee

bassfearmee Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.....I will sleep better tonight.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have some Type A in my garage. My wife brought it to me when I popped a tranny cooling line. She bought it at the local gas station. I had never seen it before either.
    Any good quality ATF should work in your pump.