1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Type 3157 bulb replacements (backup lights)

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Maine_Train, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Okay, they're not strobes, but could be LEDs, depending who makes 'em. I'm looking into "drop-in" replacement bulbs for backup (reverse) lights. Until I can get auxiliary lighting wired up, I'd like to see if there's something brighter than the OEM incandescent bulbs.

I Googled for halogen bulbs, but what keeps appearing are multi-LED bulbs (20 or more LEDs) from various manufacturers. One 31-LED set on Amazon received one 5-star and one 1-star review. :confused:

Anyone used/using any aftermarket bulbs that really are a major improvement over the stock backup lights?
  2. DHDB

DHDB Member

If you are talking about the led version of the 3157 bulb, I don't think they are legal for road use. The light shines directly backwards and you lose the use of the reflector to enhance the brightness of the bulb. IMO use the hazard lights until you upgrade to some type of flashing unit.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try VIP or AutoZone? Sometimes they have "High Output" replacement backup light bulbs.
  4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

do not buy the 50w halogen reverse lights from autobarn.....unless you like throwing money away.
  5. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

whelen makes a set of 3157 that are used to replace the oem bulbs. there are 6 leds. 3 are the oem function leds and 3 are the stobe parts. not shure of any more info. ill have to go look to see if i can find more info
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. chuckraduenz

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That kit is apparently specific to the 2006 Crown Vic. And they are for park/stop/turn bulbs.

I wonder if they will fit in the Intensifire turn signal sockets.

OP is looking to increase his reverse white lights anyway.
  8. chuckraduenz

it maybe cv specific. but its the same base just pinned differnt. and oh my mistake. all the snow plowing and shoveling must have gotten to me....
  9. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I'd like to have some brighter back up lights too. I already have the aux back up lights but more is always better when it comes to seeing in the dark.
  10. Maine_Train

Yup. :cool:
    I think my opening sentence might have been a bit vague; I was referring to this being the Strobe Lighting Forum. From reading the archives, it looks like pretty much anything to do with working lights is on-topic, and not just (xenon) strobes.

Definitely. Even if/when I get something like a White Night unit hooked up, I figured some additional candlepower out the back would be good. (R! R! R! More power! :D )
  11. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

this is the halo series light. its made for use in crown victorias. it can be modified (by whelen or a whelen tech ie engineer or installer or just someone who knows what they are doing) for f150 f250 f350 and fisher and western blinkers in the intensifire headlights for the plows. and cannot be modified for a chevy. to replace the 3157 reverse light.
  12. chuckraduenz

yes i am well aware of that for a cv. but its still a 3157 bulb base. a chevys reverse bulbs arent a 3157. its a 3156........ 3157 are dual fillament. 3156 are one fillament. still would work in the taillight part.
  13. Maine_Train

The owner's manual for my '04 Silverado 1500 says 3157 for the back-up lamp, so that's what I was going by.
    A 3156-style bulb can supposedly be used to replace about ten other types, but I figured I'd start with what was in the manual.

Some of the multi-LED ones I've seen have a ring of six or so diodes at the base of the cylinder, I guess to use the entire surface of the reflector.
    I've only found a couple of user reviews on them so far, and those were either "I love 'em" or "They stink." I don't think either of those people were using them on a plow truck.

JeffNY, thanks for the warning on the Autobarn halogens. Duly noted.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

3157 are dual filament park/turn or stop, 3156 are single. They will both fit in the receptacle. I'm guessing the General decided to use all the same bulbs wherever possible to simplify the assembly line.