1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

two wheel to a four wheel drive

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by westernboy16, Feb 4, 2006.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

can u switch a two wheel drive truck to a four wheel drive truck.

If possible how can u do it and how much would it be
  2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

it is possible, however, the 4x4 frames are generally heavier, and you may have a lot of fab work to do depending on the particular vehicle you are looking to modify. Such as spring mounts, transfer case crossmember, steering components, rear driveshaft carrier, reinforcing the frame. Not to mention finding the right parts, such as transmission with correct tailstock, transfercase, front axle with correct differential offset and spring and shock mounts (or else you will have to fab them also).

This is only a partial list of the required things. As you can see it wont be easy or quick. In most cases you would be better off to sell the 2wd and buy a 4x4. Buying a truck will most likely end up being cheaper, even if you dont count your personal labor costs.
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Just buy a 4x4....it will be cheaper an not as much of a headache
  4. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

2x4 into 4x4 = $$$$$

Can be done in all Makes.Cost to pay someone other than youself to do it = Alot$$$.If This is your Chosen path Though IMHO Dodge Products Would be best Choice of Conversion.You Should Also have Both ENTIRE VEHICLES ON Site Due to THE Excessive parts swapping required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

i was just wondering cause my uncle was thinking changing his 1994 ford f150 4x2 it to a 4x4 plow truck but i will tell him he may want to sell it and find a
    4x4 for the same price he is selling it for but then again he may not sell and just plow two wheel drive.
    thanx for the replies
  6. RJ snow

RJ snow Member

ROTFL.....I agree with that!!! :drinkup:

RODHALL Senior Member

I’m in the middle of doing another 2wd to 4x4 swap on a 80’s dodge. Both swaps that I have done I got rusted out 4x4 with the same wheelbase. Start out with the 4X cleaned and repaired the frame, transmission transfer case and drive lines. Roll the rusted body off, then take the bed and front clip off the 2wd. Remove the seat and carpet from both cabs. With Dodge you need to modify tunnel on the 2wd cab. I normaly cut the 4X hump out and place it over the 2wd floor draw around it remove it. now give yourself 2 inches the whole way around your line cut that out and graft the 4x tunnel to the floor. Swap the cab to 4x frame, motor and wiring harness also. If you did the tunnel right it should shifter should come up the hole without and issues. Then put the front clip and bed back on.

Brakes –all new lines keep the booster MC and propping valve with the 4x

Steering – on both swaps I have done the column was the same but you need to use the steering box off the 4x.

4X- there is no 4X light inside once your done.

Thered/white plow truck in the picis the first 2wd to 4x4 swap.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Unless your using a 2x4 for a body swap to save a 4x4 like Rodhall, why would you want to? :dizzy: Good luck finding a plow mount for a 2 wheel drive f-150.

Sell the 2x buy a 3/4 ton 4x and be done with it.
  9. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I did it to my 2x4 Powerstroke '95 F350 dually crew cab. I bought the truck with plans to do this because ford never made a dually 4x4 truck in XLT trim and crew cab.
    The only (pre '98 ford) 4x4 duallys you see out there were either made using 4x4 trucks and dually adapters or cab an chassis trucks.

It was worth it to me because I couldn't buy a truck like I wanted and I had most of the parts to do it from a wrecked '89. All I needed was a dually axle. I found one that was in a fire and got a deal. I had to do minimal work to the frame. (drill holes, cut two notches, and weld in a couple shackle boxes. An F150 would probably be harder to do and definately not worth it for all the 4x4s there are out there. -phillip
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ok, summary:
    Can it be done- yes.
    What will it entale- a LOT of work
    Best method- buy a 4x4 and do a body swap.

Basically our advice: Sell the 2wd and buy a 4x4- save the headaches, hassle, work, and wasted effort.
    Unless you're situation is the same as KentuckyDiesel having all the parts except one don;t bother. Had he not had the extra parts already the simpler solution would have been buy the 4x4 and upgrade the interior to XLT.

amazingly many people think it's a simple operation to make a 2wd a 4x4, depending on the exact vehicle you are starting with it may be, a late model ANYTHING is a poor choice because they're all going to require frame and suspension modification from the independant front to a solid axle setup or to a 4wd independant setup, which if not precisly done means alignment trouble or worse.
  11. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

It's a PIA--unless you are doing it for fun and you love your truck! did one in the late 80'S ON AN EARLY 80'S CHEVY----PUT IN SOMETHING LIKE 150 HOURS FOR THE SWAP(tHERE WAS DRINKING TIME INCLUDED)