1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two Wheel Drive Dump Truck in Snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bnbyrnes, Dec 6, 2005.

1. bnbyrnes

bnbyrnes Junior Member

I have a 1988 Ford F350 Dump Truck with only two wheel drive. I bought it with a plow on it, but it gets horrible traction in the slightest of snow. What can i do to get better traction. Thanks
  2. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Put 1.5 tons of weight in it and get some aggressive tires. I plowed for years with only an F350 dually and did real well. Now have a 3500hd with regular 19.5" tires and it ain't great, but it does alright. Just get in your mind you're not gonna do a lot of off roading, hills , etc... parking lots are a breeze though. I've been stuck more with my 4x4 Dodge in the last two years than I ever was with the Ford, but you tend to be a bit more aggressive:rolleyes:
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I was out plowing a few driveways to day with my F-350 dump. I was in 2wd for the most part. 2 tons of weight is the key. And take it slow when starting up or you will spin the tires.
  4. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

I was very worried about my 2wd F350 before I used it the first time. I have an 8' Fisher on the front and a 8' Torwel Spreader on the back. I have all weather not very aggresive tires. The Torwel is about 1000lbs empty and traction is not bad when empty but I wouldn't want to be less than the empty spreader. When the spreader has 2 yds in it, you would almost think it was 4WD. Everyone is correct on the weight and it is key.
  5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

everyone is right on the money. Just keep in mind it is your common sense that will allow you to plow with this without trouble. Even in my 4x4 trucks, I instruct my guys to only use the 4x4 when absolutely necessary. This keeps you from getting to ambitious and going places you shouldn't. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. For example, don't nose down into a truck dock thinking you are going to backdrag the snow uphill. Don't back into for that matter either. Have fun, and good luck!
  6. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Move Damnit

LOTs of weight And move first then lower the blade is the trick.Practice The blade drop in motion and you could plow a Blizzard:nod: :nod: :nod:
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

As said above, but for added measuer you could buy a set of tire chains for it to use in the bigger storms or when you have troubles in smaller storms that ice over etc..

As far as chains I would only go with the full roller type, they are easy to change when you break a cross chain etc... They go on and can be repaired with no tools. Keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for with tire chains!

Here is a link to a place in Worcester that I deal with and have always had good luck with. I would think that they could or would mail them to you.

8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

with my 02 ford dump i plow in 2 wheel drive , unless my sander is empty, or im if im plowing a hairy spot!!!
  9. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

For 3 years now Ive used a 2001 F450 2x4 with a blizzard 810 power plow. I just put a skid of salt in the back and load up a SnowEx 1075. So total weight is about 3000lbs and thats the key. Just try to do all your plowing with the weight in the truck then go back and salt when the your plowing is complete.

Ken - New Look Landscaping
  10. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

11. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

I plowed for years with my '86 2wd Chevy Dump. I used to put a ton or so of salt in the bed and had no problems. I did use chains a couple times when the snow was real deep. But like everyone else says, just use common sense. I never got stuck but I also didn't take too many chances and was carefull of how I plowed parking lots that had steep slopes.