1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two ways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Sep 24, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I have a chance to buy a hand held a base station and 3 in car moblie radions for 100,00 this is the 800 system which I currently herd was out of service meaning these radios would be useless. I am not for sure does anyone know of this?

Thanks,

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I think that these radios have to be hooked to a tower to get service. I don't know if they are capable of operating radio to radio. Most of the 800 megs I have encountered operate on a repeater system through a tower. $100.00 sounds pretty cheap to me for 5 radios, do you know the guy who is selling them? What brand of radio are they? Do they have all the accessories with them (mics, wiring harness, brackets) You need to check with a local radio dealer to see if anyone offers 800 meg service in your area before you buy them. If you have already bought them and they will not work for you then they will probably sell pretty quick on e-Bay.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

800 mhz generally requires a repeater system. Basically the higher the frequency the shorter the range of the radio.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the 800 band is terrible your better going with a lower band all fds around here have problems with them

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Do you have Nextel or cellular phones? The radios might be redundant and just give your people another diversion from work.

6. turfguy

turfguy Member

two way radios

Trust me on this...dont buy any used radio equipment without checking with a real two way radio shop. The reason that there is so much used 800 mhz radio equipment out there is that nextel has bought up all of the liceneces and the spectrum is getting mighty tight. You can always find used radio equipment on ebay and soforth but trying to get a repeater and a licence can be next to imposible. I spent 15 years at Motorola as a field engineer and I saw more broken hearts on used stuff than I could count.

7. m&m owner

m&m owner Member
    from MN

I heard the 800 mhz no longer work in my area(MN) something to do with nextel.Be sure to try them first

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

We need to know the make and model numbers. 800 mhz works well in certain areas and not so well in others. What kind of terrain are you trying to cover, how much area. You are certainely not got to afford to put up your own system. You will most likely be leasing time on shared use repeater.

I can give you much more direction, but you need to provide more information.