1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two ways or CBs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Feb 4, 2005.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I have allready made a post about this subject but I recently found something that we havent talked about it is a midland radio cb but it also has a usb and a lsb whatever that mean it has something to do with short band I think. Does anyone run these units. I know everyone here will say nextel but both my subs have cbs so I would like to be able to talk to them and last time I gave out cell phones the bills were a killer my emploeyes talking to everyone they know. This radio is in the cj whitney I will get the model number as soon as I can find the mag I have a mess :cry: Oh well
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I have a cb in my blazer, mostly just ta have, a gadget ya know. But two ways might work but they'd hafta be expensive ones to work a good distance. Cb's would be good if there used just in a small town or area. I know some cell phones have a two way walkie talkie feature. Maybe you could get those and just get very few minutes of talktime and tell the guys only to use the walkie talkie feature, if they call excessively or talk it'll come outta there check.
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

cb's are a waiste of money, if you feel the need for a radio then go with some sort of a 2 way business band radio...Rob
  4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

The radios I am looking at are a cb and a short band radio whatever the hell that means. Midland makes them
  5. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

heres the model number check it out and tell me what you think
    Midland 79290
    120 ch. AM-USB/LSB-weather transceiver with detachable control panel –
    NEW ESP™ circuit for better sound. Output Power: 12 watt SSB, 4 watt AM,
  6. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

120-channel Operation With 40am, 40usb & 40lsb Channels

Built-in 10-channel Weather Monitor That Receives All Us & Canadian Channels

Big, Black Matrix Lcd Display Has A Multifunction Readout That Displays The Frequency Or The Number Of Channel Being Used

Shows 4 Memory Channels, Noise Blanker, Rf Gain, Weather Channels & A 12 Segment Rf Output/signal Strength Meter

Dual Watch, Channel 9 & 19 Memory & Full-stage Esp Noise Reduction Functions

Coarse/fine Tuning For Ssb & A Local Dx Switch

Fully-detachable Front Panel

Battery-powered Memory Retains Data For Up To 100 Hours
  7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

heres a pic of it

8. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Check out Onestopelectronics.com I bought a Cb from there last week and I Will let you know how it works out, I hear that you can get pretty good distance out of them, If you tune and peak them right. Good Luck
  9. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

The thing with CB's is that your sort of limited for range, unless you jack up the wattage. I think the legal limit is 5 watts, but I've heard of some OTR guys running 40 watts. Depends on how far out your guys go to plow.

You can get Nextel's with the cell-phone restrictions, so that the phone part of it is cut off, so only the Direct Connect works. The company I work for has hundreds of Nextels, and alot of the operations phones have direct connect only.

You can also set it up as a talkgroup thing. So instead of talking to 1 person at a time, you have the option of talking to everyone in your "group". It costs a bit extra, but probably worth it.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

been there done that don't waste your money on cb's, they don't work to well in bad weather conditions. buy uhf two way radios from a good dealer. and buy truck mount radios, hand held radios get lost and guys forget to charge them.we use to use them all the time before cell phones , now we just use them to BS.
  11. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

A bad point about CBs is the control over the signal pattern. OTR trucks use twin antennas (usually one on each mirror) to directionalize the pattern along the length of the vehicle. Great for highway communications, but little off to the side.

The omni antennas are very inefficient by comparison. Although a single antenna mounted (ideally) in the center of a metal roof would have something of a onmidirectional pattern, the nulls (dead spots) vary widely.

Higher band commercial two way is an easier signal to control (aim), but these are costly.

If cell phones work well in your area you are probably better off going that route and deduct for excess usage.
  12. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Wow, it's amazing that the rumors about CB radios are still alive and kicking..

Here's a few facts I can throw out about the CB radios. First off, I'm an Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator and I've been licensed for about 7 years now. I'm not an expert or anything but, I'll tell you what I know.

CB Radio is VERY reliant on sun spot cycles just like the 10 meter amateur band which is just outside of the CB or 11 meter band. Right now, the cycle is in the low side of it's 11 year cycle. 10 meters is dead pretty much and so is CB. Now, what that means is you can't really work any long distance at this time. Local traffic within sight or a few miles should work fine. When I talk long distances, I'm talking hundreds of miles. As for pushing more power, you're better off investing in a better antenna. That all boils down to what we call S units. If you have 7 S units of signal strength and you're using 5 watts of power, you have to multiply your power 4 times to gain one unit... then 4 times again to gain another.. As you can see, you can quickly throw a lot of power (Illegal by FCC guidelines BTW) and a LOT of money for that power at your radio and barely keep up with what a better antenna will actually do for you.

The problem with dual whip antennas is you usually can't get them far enough apart to be effective on a normal pickup truck. If you'll look at a lot of the OTR truckers, you'll see them using an antenna called a Texas Bug Catcher which is VERY effective in raising your S units because of the gain it provides.

The USB and LSB are what they call Upper Side Band and Lower Side Band. Basically, your regular CB is an AM radio and this allows it to work those same frequencies on a side band. Only problem there is finding a buddy with a sideband rig that you can both hook up on. Leave it on AM and work with it from there..

As for "tweaking" the radios for optimum power and performance, from my experiences, that's a lot of smoke and mirrors. Anyone can make a needle on a meter swing a lot farther than it did and tell you the radio has been "tweaked" when it actually hadn't had much done to it at all.. You'll also find that modifying a CB and causing any kind of outside interference can bring the FCC down on you pretty quick.. It's not like the old days, they DO have an enforcement division these days..

I have an HF/UHF/VHF rig in my truck (ICOM 706) which is about a $1500 rig with 100 watts of power and I have some excellent Hustler antennas that work with it mounted on my bumper.. I have to change out the "stingers" based on the band I want to use.

I also have a CB radio mounted in my truck and an antenna mounted on my light bar. Next to that is a multi-band scanner antenna and on the pax side is a VHF/UHF antenna for amateur operation.

The CB is actually used when I'm plowing so I can hear where the dump trucks are at as well as just giving a shout to other plow trucks I might see. Mostly line of sight..

In summary, CB's will work fine, use them as they were designed, get the best antenna you can afford and make sure you have REALLY good grounds. It's amazing how much signal is lost from poor grounding.

Sorry this was a long one guys and dolls but, I think there's some good info here that may help dispel some old rumors and wives tales..

Anchorage, AK
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

SsB = Super side band. Unless you have a electronics guy install the extra crystals for those channels in all radios you use and get a booster of at least 40w if not 100 or more CB's are a waste. By the time you buy the extra's to use SsB you will think the phone bills are cheap. Get the plan that limits the phones to the 2 way only.

If is a small town and you are all within a 5 mile range they also sell those small 2 ways now good up to 7 miles but I would'nt push that 7 miles range in a snow storm.

If you had guy's using phones on your dime and they called all over as you say I would rethink the trust I had in them.
  14. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

15. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

My 2 cents.............

CB's are a great cheap communication tool. With 6 trucks plowing in a 2mile area we can all chatter about what we need and dont use up minutes on our nextels / cell phones. When we do split up and get farther apart we are usually in pairs (2)trucks plowing a property and can still communicate.

IMO with a good tight route and trucks working in pairs it has saved us money over the years. We have also tried using the motorola mini radios and they too work OK....but not that great.

Nextel or Cell phone + CB = good communication for crews.
  16. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

there are some great two ways out there for around 300 bucks that can get up to 40 miles of coverage with a repeater. you need to find a radio dealer with a repeater to rent you space. we pay 5 bucks a month per unit for repater space. the radios are maxons they are portable but we can get truck mounted for the same price. they have two channles one for repaeter for long distance one local talk around that is good for about 1/4 mile.

5beans per month is way cheaper than any cell plan, and the repeater range is incredable and every one in your crew will hear you, you match frequency. there are alos ways so you don;t hear others on the repaeter deenc=ding on how your radios are set up.

17. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Hey JeffW... Cool handle!

Forgot about the repeater providers. Local oil company uses those. Guess prices have dropped in recent years due to cell competition. Used to rent space on a tower to local Motorola dealer for repeater antennas. Really had some nice systems but prices were pretty high (last I checked on it was over a decade ago).

Coverage is great, and you can custom design a service plan that fits your area.
  18. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Never heard of Super Side Band, but I have heard of Single Side Band.
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

old age and the 70's. Yes you are right. I ws thinking and thought it was super as is what a guy I use ta know called it cuz he said it was super to have. But you are correct.
  20. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Theres a few things that makes cb undesirable in my book;
    First lets clear this up, SSB its Single Side band not super side band.

1, The range per dollar is very limited

2, Unless you want to listin to bubba in the biu then cb isnt for you

3, Communication on cb band is less the secure

4, Taking a radio and using it on freqs (ie above ch 40) is highly illegal and I could only hope you get caught

5, Unless you have a high tolerance to some snot nose 15 year old telling you what an a-hole you are the cb's arent for you

unless you have actually listened to a cb you may want to find someone who actually has one and spend 5 mins with one.