1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two trucks, which one would be better for a plow truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by s_aloisio, Feb 16, 2014.

1. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

I own a 1997 2500 dodge, reg cab, long box, 5.9l diesel, standard. 200000k

I also have a 2004 GMC dura max, ext cab, short box, auto. 240000k

Which would you throw a plow on? This will not be a primary plow vehicle, I will be doing a tractor/blower service but want the truck as a back up.

Then the loaded question, what plow would you choose and why.

thanks in advance for your answers.

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Is one of the trucks your daily driver?

3. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

the GMC has been my winter truck and the dodge has been my summer truck.

I can use either as a plow truck, would prefer whichever would be better suited for the task. Been using a tractor or bobcat in the past a truck is new territory for me.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I'd say it doesn't matter really, the Chevy is probably better about starting cold though.

5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Some don't like chevy front ends. Both will plow nicely

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If the chevy is already your winter truck then I would use that. No need to have both trucks for the winter instead now.

7. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

V plow for busting thou drifted country roads and streets, drive ways.......a winged plow if you need to push snow to stack and pack, move snow away from parked or stationary objects.....and a straight plow for just open areas.....as far as maker...it just a matter of which one you prefer or whom treats you the best..IMO ....

Does the gmc have the same trans as the silverado?????...just curious..same year 2004 and model 2500

8. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

thank you for the replies.

What I am gathering is that between the two trucks one wouldn't be substantially better than the other.

9. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

if the silverado is a 2500hd diesel then yes, they both have the Allison transmission.

10. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

True....all trucks will push snow.......it's a crap shoot on which truck...I would say the one less abused....will last alittle longer...but be ready to put a trans in....just happened to a friend of mine he has a older dodge and I just blew my trans on 04....not saying it will happen but sooner or later it will happen

11. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

it is dodge vs GMC
    and i would go GMC because it is auto and already a winter truck

12. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

both trucks are in really good shape, the GMC is my winter truck simply because I already had winter tires on rims for it.

Is there a durability difference between an auto or standard pushing a plow. Rebuild wise I'm assuming about $1000 for a clutch on a standard, and don't even want to think of the cost to rebuild an Allison.

13. r.renterprises

r.renterprises Member

I push a 810 blizzard with a 01 dodge diesel nv5600. Truck has 125000 on it now has pushed snow and pulled trailers from new. Truck still has the factory clutch and never had any tranny issues. I had a dodge with a v10 and same plow that auto trany made it 3k and was toast. Will only ever plow with a stick after that experience.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Sell em both and get a newer truck

15. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

:) the tractor is the major capital investment this year, I'm sure one of the old girls will do fine as a backup, no need for more payments.

plus why upgrade to a new pickup and take a major hit to fuel economy? my 97 5.9 12valve, and my LB7 both get way better mileage than any newer truck.

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you have 240,000 miles on each truck add up what you have put in each not to mention a 5000 snow plow

17. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

ah there is the misunderstanding 240,000k is only 150,000 miles.

In my opinion 150,000miles is not a lot on a maintained diesel pickup. If I had 240000miles, 390000km I'd be of the exact same opinion as you.

Neither pickup has started to nickel and dime me yet. I track all maintenance and repair costs. As soon as a vehicle starts to cost me near what a new vehicles payments would be I'll upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I go with the ram its a manual its hard to break a manual tranny and cheaper to put a clutch in then fixing a Auto tranny

I have 5 speed and I can push bigger load of snow with out loosing traction vs my Auto trucks

But with if the truck has low gears then I wouldn't use it My stick has high gears in it So in reverse I can run 15 mph backing up and first gear I run 15mph at 2500rpm

19. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Tractor/blower primary suggests that the truck will be plowing driveways as a backup.

I assume the best chance of needing it will come during heavy snowfalls when a mechanical failure is more likely and/or an extra snow mover is useful to help get through the route quickly.

I think the Dodge is a better choice for a couple reasons:

Shorter wheelbase

Tighter turning radius - goes along with the wheelbase but even longer wheelbase dodges with the dana axles turn tighter than the ifs gm's for some reason. (Source - our quad cab longbed dodges from '99 and '03 turn noticeably tighter than our early 2000's gmc sierra 2500 with the same cab and longbed)

Regular cab is easier to see out of

The ability to turn around at the end of a longer drive shaves valuable minutes off of your route time and saves stress on the operator

Manual trans - for heavy snow the man trans is king. Let the clutch out and push without watching your trans temp. If things are really hairy use 4-low but the cummins has so much torque at idle the clutch will see little to no wear as you can just let it out without throttle. The allison trans is the best auto for plowing though with the lowest 1st and reverse gears in trucks from the era. It will perform well but I give the edge to the nv5600/cummins combo

Dana 60 vs ifs - I don't feel that the dana axle is much stronger than the gm setup but tire wear is not really an issue with a solid axle and it is technically an issue with ifs - not a big deal but the alignment is affected a little more on the gm when the front dips so I give the nod to dodge here too because you don't have to do anything to it vs needing to adjust torsion bars for proper alignment with the plow on (or timbrens, etc.)

Convenience - the dodge is sitting now for the winter. Let it sit with plow installed and ready to go and continue driving the gmc as you are now

Frame - There is a greater chance of frame damage (cracking) on the gmc from the weight of the plow if you don't have a gusset welded onto the stress point. I believe your year is still at risk although the HD frame is plenty beefy - maybe worth a shot but no worries with the dodge.

Frame - the boxed frame on the gmc is harder to keep rust free than the c-channel frame on the older dodge. (dodges after '03 have a fully boxed frame too) Box is better in most ways but rust prevention is not one of them.

Brakes - the gmc has a rust sensitive and expensive abs system and brakeline routing that is prone to failure from corrosion and difficult to replace. Aftermarket stainless or cunifer lines would be an eventual requirement if the truck was used to plow and you would find yourself pulling the abs fuse after the front sensors get touchy and start kicking off the abs when you hit the brakes at slow speed. This makes it very easy to hit something while turning around in a driveway.

There's my 2 cents

Plow - any brand v-plow assuming most use will be in heavy snow

20. s_aloisio

s_aloisio Member

Yes the truck is planned as a back up incase of breakdown.

Thank you for the very well thought out and informative response I appreciate it. You pointed out some things I had overlooked and some I was unaware of.