1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two trucks, Two problems.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by articstorm, Oct 30, 2011.

1. articstorm

articstorm Member

The bigger issue is on a '97 1500 Silverado w/350. Just yesterday I was moving some things and jumped back into the truck while it was parked on a hill and it wouldn't start. Dropped it into neutral and it fired right up. Drove around, shifts fine, just won't go into park or show that is in park on the light. I had noticed recently that it was kind of lagging going into reverse before catching and have thought this is a linkage, colume, or cable problem. Looking for past experiance, how it was fixed, and cost's experianced.

Second truck is a '02 2500 Silverado w/8.1L. It has had a exhaust manifold leak for about a year, but quickly quiets down when warm. Now I noticed that the dipstick wouldn't go back into the motor and upon closer inspection it was coming out of the tube near the exhaust manifold. I don't plan to open the can of worms on doing new manifolds this fall and am thinking I will cut the mount at the tube, removed tube and install new tube. My question is if anyone has replaced their tube and had any difficulty removing it and install the new one. Again looking for a tempory fix for a few months.

FYI. I am usualy very diligent on my truck maintenance and preventive work on them and the plows. However due to life changing circumstances I moved from my house and barn that my ex wife is living at into a small apartment and everything I own being in storage (worth it thou) and also working since Labor day with three days off.

Thanks in advance guys, Great site and good advice in the past.
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Doing a oil dipstick tube on my 04 now, the bracket came out fine but getting the tube out has been a little bit of a challenge, by removing the inner fender it give pretty decent access mine is just rusted up & trying to get the right angle to pull on it with out trekking & breaking the tube has proven to be tough, soaking with PB blaster now.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

On the 97, no linkage just a cable. Pretty simple if you get under the truck and look at it. Do you use your parking brake when parked on a hill?
  4. articstorm

articstorm Member

Looked at the '98 1500 cable last night. Not sure of the type of clip this should have to lock the cable at the trans side in place but the cable had come loose from the bracket and moved forward. I was able to temp fix the problem and will look for a clip or order a new cable. Doesnt look to bad to change. Have not tackled the dipstick yet but thanks for the advice on removing the inner fender.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dipstick tube issue's are fairly commen with the "newer" gm motors. I have done 3 on our trucks at work now. they have all been 6.0's tho, I will say this, I have not been able to do a one without dropping the oil pan. You may be/get luckier then I but this is just what has happened to me. When I replaced the tubes I did wrap the tube in a heat tape where it comes pretty close to the manifold....fyi good luck and let use know how it goes