1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two strobe heads

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Woodland, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Any suggestions on a good, reliable power supply to run just two strobe heads? I want to put two amber beacons on the truck rack but I want them to be bright. My old power supply, if I am reading correctly was running at 14 watts/head with 12 joules of light output. This was, however, a six head power supply running only 4 heads, so I believe that the heads were actually putting out more that 14 watts/head. So far, the most I have seen on a two head supply is 40watts and 34 joules thus (I assume) 20 watts per head and 17 joules. If my interpretation is correct this should be pretty close to what I had before?

2. Mike - Tac 2

Mike - Tac 2 Member

Most 2 Head Supplies are 20 Watts or less. You want to be careful using a supply that has more than two outlets because you can drastically reduce the life span of the strobe bulbs if you are only using two of the outlets. What is the make / model of the 40 Watt you found?

3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

4. Mike - Tac 2

Mike - Tac 2 Member

My Bad, I didn't know that Whelen offered the 240 anymore.

5. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

I have two, two outlet Whelens. One 25 watt x 2 and one 40 watt x 2. The 25 is plenty bright but when i went to get another, they only had the 40 watt and it was only a difference of a few dollars so i upgraded. I haven't had the chance to install it yet, but if the 25 watt is bright, i can only imagine the 40 watt is plenty bright, lol.

Here's a video of the 25 watt x 2 during the day:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i26.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/drumrmanFD/strobeday.flv">

6. schatzfan15

schatzfan15 Junior Member

wats the name of the pattern u have on those strobe lights Lowrider?

7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Thats called action flash, its pattern number 5 or 6 on most of the Whelen supplies.

8. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

yeah, it's a quad flash followed by four single bursts. then back into the quad flash