1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two Stage or Big Single Stage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowguy27, Dec 25, 2011.

1. snowguy27

snowguy27 Junior Member

Ok... I currently own a Powerclear 180 and a S-140. Last year my snowblowers could not handle some of the bigger 8"+ snows we had. My question is... Would it be better to buy a bigger single stage since it is faster and more maneuverable or should I just go ahead and get a two stage. My dealer said they would recommend a big single stage like the Toro Powerclear 621. Please answer fast because I am looking to buy one this week.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

What's your average snowfall for the year?

Your in MO, go with a larger single stage, how often does it really snow there?

3. snowguy27

snowguy27 Junior Member

Average snowfall is 4 to 8''... But last year we got a couple storms with more and thats when mine couldn't handle it. We normally get about 4-6 good snows a winter. Also this year we are predicted to get the storms with more then 8". Thanks for your advice!

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Go with a 2 stage. The singles you have now couldn't handle a bigger snow so it's obvious you should get a 2 stage.

5. snowguy27

snowguy27 Junior Member

Yes but the single stage is twice the power of my current one.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest getting a big single. If you are in good shape you can lift it in and out of a truck. Plus, there is no reason you should be snowblowing a foot of snow at a time. Work with the storm and blow it off a couple times at less depth.

7. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Its nice to have both, ideally. The small single stage ones are nice for the light snowfalls when you can just fly up and down with it and be done quick, but the 2 stage is nice for heavier wetter snows. Going to a bigger single stage might help, but you're still going to have the same problem. I am presuming from the information in your sig that you're doing some driveways in the neighborhood with the snowblower. If you were plowing with a truck, then there would be a lot more to consider.

8. ALC-GregH

from pa

Doesn't matter. If you already have 2 singles then it only makes sense to get one bigger. A 2 stage will blow the snow farther and handle deeper snow. I have a Ariens deluxe 30. It blows the snow very well. The 2009 storm we got I was moving 5ft drifts with no problems at all. I have a few driveways that are 100ft+ long. They had 2-3ft of snow. I'd cut 2 paths then clear the rest with the Grizzly.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No truck?....

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have a 2010 18" Toro Power Clear. Basically the smallest of the TORO gas snow blowers.

Last year we had a little over 40" of snow when we average about 20".

There was only one storm where I wanted to have a two stage blower on a couple of drive where I have to use a snowblower. The storm dumped a little over 12" of snow and the drifts were 3'-4' deep. I ended up having to cut the drifts with a shovel to loosen them up and then clear out the snow with the blower. Even a bit larger single stage would have been better, but not necessary.

So, if you average only 8" of snow a year, and you can get a single stage with twice as much power, then I think your better off with the larger single stage, and I think you've already made up your mind to get it.

How many accounts do you have right now? And how do you get around to these accounts now being 14 ?

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

With the info you've provided, I would suggest the single stage.

12. ALC-GregH

from pa

More like, no plow.

13. snowguy27

snowguy27 Junior Member

I currently have 15 or 16 snow removal accounts... My dad drives my friend and me to the job. Thanks for your opinion!

14. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

I'm assuming you get more then 8" for the entire year. If thats all you do get don't buy anything, just tough it out with what you got. If you get more buy a small two stage. You already have two single stage machines, why buy another? If you spend $600 and you get more power out of a new single stage you still wouldn't get the benefits of the two stage, so spend the same money on the two stage and get more power plus all the other benefits that you don't get from single. Take your single's out on the light stuff and bring the two stage along with the singles on the heavy stuff. Go to home depot and buy that $500 Ariens "special buy" two stage they have on sale. You're going to use it a couple times a year, so it doesn't neccessarily need to be pro grade. Save the money for your first pro grade truck.

15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Yeah I think he means each event is 4-8" if it was 8" for the whole year I'd say dont even bother with a snowblower at all and just shovel the 1 or 2 times he'd have to do it haha

16. snowguy27

snowguy27 Junior Member

Yes haha... We get alot more then 8" in a season.

17. ALC-GregH

from pa

Even more reason to go with a 2 stage.

18. snowguy27

snowguy27 Junior Member

Bought a two stage today! I will post pictures later in the week!

19. toroman1992

toroman1992 Junior Member

Hope you got yourself a nice Toro Power Max 826 OXE. ussmileyflag Awesome snowthrower with a 8 hp Briggs. Never bogged down with a 16"+ Blizzard last year.