1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two speed worth it??? or not...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcommander, Nov 4, 2014.

1. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

Looking at getting another skid loader for this year. The one I've been looking at is a 2010 Case 440 Series 3 with 1700 hours. Has a cab, aux hydraulics, quick attach, and cold start package. He's a friend of mine and I know it's been taken care of. He was asking $22k but said he'd be negotiable. I just can't decide if its worth it or if I should try to find a 2 speed. I've only had single speeds in the past but I've been wanting to go 2 speed if I could. My local Case dealer thinks it's worth around $26-27k if they were selling it. What do you guys think???
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Get the two speed
  3. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I would only get the 2 speed if you want to make more money!
  4. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

2 speeder!
  5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

2 speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

2 speed is the only way to go!
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

None of ours are two speed
  8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Just picked up my first two machines and I made sure they were two speed. Definitely took linger to find the machines and cost more up front but it will pay off in the long run.
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I think I'd rather drive nails through my hands then push snow with a single speed skid steer.
  10. snowcommander

I appreciate everyone's opinions. I think I'm going to hold off as my gut feeling was telling me already I shouldn't buy it, and then everyone's comments solidified my decision. Man I hate shopping for stuff sometimes. Except for skid steers, I buy everything else new because it can be a royal pain in the ass to find stuff at a decent price that's actually worth the money. Thanks again
  11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

If you don't have long pushes or drive to transport it its pointless.
  12. snowcommander

It'll be stationed at a large industrial plant that stretches out for 2 miles that we plow for. It'll be used for loading salt trucks at the salt shed on the plant site as well as plowing/pushing a couple open areas around different warehouses and employee parking lots near the salt shed. That's kind of why I think it's necessary because it goes back and forth so much. The single speed Bobcats we have now are great but it sure would be nice to have something that went a little quicker.
  13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Sounds like you could benefit from an extra machine more than 2 speed
  14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Two speed is the ONLY way to go.
  15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go two speed.
  16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've said it here before, but I'll say it again. Every once in a while, it feels like I'm barely moving after hours in the skid in high speed, and I switch it to low speed, and I realize just how great a 2 speed really is. A single speed SS used for snow work is an utter waste of money IMO.......

On a side note, Antlerart should be along soon to tell you how his Gehl goes 25 MPH and feels like it's riding on a cloud......
  17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Haha, I've been patiently waiting for that...
  18. Bechtel2

Bechtel2 Junior Member

I would go 2 speed.
  19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree, 2spd all the way.
  20. snowcommander

Just to let everyone know I ended up finding a 2 speed from our local Case dealer at a great price. Got a 2013 SV250 2speed. It's really nice and has under 1,000 hours with new tires. Has all the options so I can use it for landscaping and sweeping in the summer. It goes crazy fast in two speed and I'm very happy with the purchase. I've always thought you couldn't get a good deal at a dealer compared to private party for something like this, but boy was I wrong. Very satisfied. Excited to get my Arctic Snow Pusher for it in January!