1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two sets or Tires and Rims?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Young Pup, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I have been plowing with the tires that came with the truck when I got it in December of 03. I have been looking at the cooper m&s tires for the upcoming season. I was wondering how many of you run two sets of tires for you trucks? One for winter and then one for summer.Oh yeah I have a Chevy 2500 shortbox.

Thanks,

JP

2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Yep! I always run a tall, skinny tire with the Rubber Manufacturer's Association "severe snow service" rating for the winter... I Look for the "snowflake in the mountain" emblem on the sidewall.

Some of the Cooper M & S tires have the severe snow service rating. Heard lots of good things about Coopers, gonna try them next... :)

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

cooper discover M&S are the best tire i have ever used in winter. bought mine last year. definitly worth having dedicated snow tires.

4. Young Pup

Thank you for you guys input.

JP

5. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I run Cooper ATRs in the summer and for the first few storms as they seem to handle wet, heavy snow pretty well. When winter arrives I switch over to Cooper Discoverer M&S. They serve me well in the snow and ice. Pete

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I always liked BFG TAs but think Coopers are next for me!

7. winter rubber

I run Nokians directional snow tires with studs. I travel over a 9200 foot pass every winter to plow. Then Nokians are the best snow tires I have ever used. Whether it is ice, packed powder or 2.5 deep they handle excellent. And they last several season.......

[​IMG]

8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hi CAT226B - did you ever get a chance to try the Nokians in any mud or sloppy stuff??? Here in the east we get snow to slush to mud pretty often lately... :(

I was thinking of trying the new Cooper Discoverer STT's - they're siped pretty good for mud tire but I'm hesitant since they didn't seem to be rated for severe snow service and mud tires usually su*k on the pavement in snow...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

sixspeed last year when i bought my cooper discover m&s tires i wound up putting them on earlier than i planned becuase of the mud and they worked great. but they truely shined in the snow. best traction i have ever had in winter.

10. Young Pup

Don't think I ever heard of Noakians. Are they just out west or I am out of the loop?

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

They're scandinavian... Check out the tire rack's web site I think they have them...

Don't see them too much on trucks around here though... Not that they are a bad tire but nobody around here stocks them here in PA.

Coopers are really taking off around here and they aren't that bad price wise! They look like a winner so far!

Damn it's been pouring all day here... I wish I could fast forward to January!!!!

12. towman

towman Member

cooper m&s are by far the best snow tire i have ever used, we put them on for customers on work vans at work and they all love them, most of them run them year round for they are construction vehicles and they claim they work good in the mud also, i run m&s in the winter and cooper s-t in the summer, they are a good tire also