1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

two quick questions to better my plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kevinwebster1, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

1. I have 35" tires on my truck and its lifted 4 inches. i noticed that in some places i couldnt get the blade to touch cuz of a little hill or dip or something. is that mainly cuz my truck sits too high? should i just put some stock tires back on it and will that make some quality difference in my plowing capabilities. cuz i had to get out with a damn shovel and scrape off that part of the lots. i didnt like that too much.

2. the feet that are on the snow plows, what are they for exactly? im tryin to figure out if the blade is supposed to teeter over the front of those or what. and where should they be set at?
    thanks a lot guys!

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The main problem with trucks with higher lifts is more of a visibility/safety issue. You just can't see in front of you close enough yo be real efficient at times. In your case, it sounds like some longer chains may be in order for you. If you hang your plow a little lower, you should be fine.
    As far as the shoes, they are mainly for doing areas such as gravel - so you don't scrape it all off and into the areas you don't want it. If you ar doing some larger gravel lots, then have a pair on hand. Myself, I don't use them, and most everyone else doesn't either. Without them, you get a much cleaner scrape on smooth surfaces. Even if you DO do some areas that are gravel, but not alot, this can be done without skids. You just have to lift the blade slightly, and keep the blade straight across the front (not angled). If you have it angled, then one end is down too low and will gouge while the other end doesn't move anything. Many times when doing this, you have to run the truck slow - as to not have the blade bounce and gouge.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The A frame of the plow has to be parallel to the ground to get the correct attack angle on the plow. Being lifted could be a problem, your 4 inches off the normal height for the truck side mount. Plus the taller tires installed with the lift.
    In theory the shoes are used to keep the cutting edge from digging in on gravel surfaces etc and they keep the cutting edge off the ground by an inch or so. Few people use them on straight blades because they leave too much snow behind. Your plow manual should tell you how to set the height of the shoes. If you don't have one, you can down load it off the manufactures web site. Use the search function above on the tool bar. There are all kinds of past posts on plowing with lifted trucks.