1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two quick newbie questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nosnownodough, Dec 16, 2007.

1. nosnownodough

nosnownodough Junior Member

These might be sorta obvious but I'm new so here goes..

First, do most people salt residentials or only upon resquest? I would imagine salting would reduce the possibility of slip and fall type claims or at least you could argue that any negligence wouldnt be yours since you salted. Anything to this or am I just being overly cautious?

Second, Let's say you have a 2in trigger and you get 3 inches of snow. So, you go out and plow but then Customer X says that the NWS said his town which is two miles away only had 1.9 inches. What do you guys do in this situation and how do you protect against this in contracts?

Thanks for the :help: in advance
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

1. Unless they have a really icy spot, we don't generally salt/ice melt resi's. Ask the customer see what they want.

2. If they whine, just bill 'em, and drop them, never show up again. Who needs it? Life is too short. If they aren't going to take you at your word, why bother having them as customers?
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We only salt residentials when they call. Plow them and bill them. If the continue to complain tell them the total amount of snow in their drive and if they want to measure it before you plow again to get out their tape.
  4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

To answer your salting question, it depends on what the customer wants. All of this should be worked out upon having them sign the contract. The contract that I use has all the possibly scenarios spelled out for each customer. For your second question, I keep a log which contains the customer (or site) name, time of service, current weather conditions, on-site snow depth & yes or no for salt. I include this information on the bills and I am rarely questioned as to my actions. If the customer think your covering all the bases, they won't question you because YOU are the PROFESSIONAL. Best of luck & enjoy!!:drinkup: