1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

two questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tommydun, Nov 10, 2002.

1. tommydun

tommydun Junior Member
    from PA

Does anyone have any experience with any of the pull plows that are now available. Also, does anyone have any experience plowing with a V8 Ford Explorer. Thanks

2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

tommydun - What do you want to know about pull plows. I have five of them, all Daniels, they work great! Would not go out plowing without them.

CGB

3. tommydun

tommydun Junior Member
    from PA

Do you use them along with push plows or alone. What type vehicles do you use them with?

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

You must have a front plow, to go along with the rear plow. The rear plow/front plow complement each other. But the rear plow alone is useless with out the front plow in my opinion. There is no way to clean up, or tuck/and or stack snow with only the rear plow. And you can't just leave piles of snow everywhere. On top of that there is a limit to how much snow you can pull with a rear plow, typical it depends on the size of the truck. When you drag snow far enough that your tires and rear end of the truck gets packed with snow, you must raise the plow or you will get stuck!

My vehicals include: 2 - Jeep wrangler sports (4.0)
    2 - S10 Jimmys (4.3)
    1 - GMC Sierra (7.4)
    1 - Chevy Suburban (7.4)

Ops, that 6 pull plows, I loose track sometimes.
    Anything else? CGB

5. tommydun

tommydun Junior Member
    from PA

Great information. Thanks for the information.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We're running a Snowman 7'6" power angling rear plow. With the angling ability we can use it as a primary plow under some conditions. If confronted with a thawed gravel surface the pull plow will take the snow off with less disturbance to the driveway. As a pull plow loads up it will try to lift, a front plow under load gets pushed down. Normally use it straight for pulling out loading docks and other blind areas but the angling ability is very nice to have. As far as I know, the Daniels does not have that capability. There's another thread going, S-10 Plows, or something like that which has a picture of our Snowman.

7. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Alan is correct, the Daniels does not have the power angle feature. Never had the pleasure to try out the snowman product. Seen them first hand in St. Louis last June, they looked like nice units. I guess preference is based on types of use. For my buisness, mostly residential, its nice to have the mini snowbox on the rear of the truck to get any left over windrow. This type of design shines in radius driveways, cuts plow times by more than half.

I have some nice, expensive, gravel driveways where I would like to try the Snowman out. What do you say Alan.

CGB:D

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

with the Expolrer your only real option is the pull plow. If you only have a few drives or your own personal drive to do, you will be fine.
    Dino

9. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

When I was looking for a new truck to buy two years ago, I stopped at the Dodge dealership to look at the Durango's. When asked if they would honor any warranty issues with regards to a front plow installed, they said no. When I was walking out of the dealership the manager stopped me and said that they would honor standard warranty if a rear unit was installed. No real use for me to have a rear plow, without the front plow. I bought a new Jeep instead, standard warranty is not void if plows are put on. Extended warranty prohibits use of plows though!

CGB

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I just remembered that our village plows with Ford Explorer SUV's.
    They have at least 10 of them with Meyers plows on them. They must be able to take some good beatings if villages are using them. I do know that these trucks are used for plowing all the cul de sacs and the like.

CGB

11. tommydun

tommydun Junior Member
    from PA

What villages are you referring to?? Would I be able to get some information from them?