1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

two questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cojab, Dec 10, 2006.

1. cojab

cojab Junior Member

I hear people talking about putting ballast weight in the rear of the vehicle. What is this for. I was planning on putting weight on the back for traction but is there a different reason for this? My truck has a flatbed on it and I would think that is probably heavier than the regular bed on the truck.
    Also, is it normal for fluid to leak into the area where the up/down cable is connected. When I pull this inspection cover there is some fluid there and I can see it dripping from the shaft of the bracket that the cable connects to.

2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Your ballast question is yes that is why you would put that in your bed. More weight= more traction. Not sure on that fluid leak.:confused:

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i always thought it was to counter the weight of the plow on front and the extra traction was just a byproduct?!

4. Rickco

Rickco Member

Bingo! When you put 700-1000# on the front of your truck the front axlw becomes a pivot point. This tranfers to much weight off the rear tires (lightens them up). Which= less tracktion.
    As for the leak. No there should be no fluid getting by.