1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nlongojr, Mar 8, 2013.

1. nlongojr

nlongojr Junior Member

My first question has been talked about before but here goes again, I have a 2007 F150 with the tow package and a HTS plow. While driving and plowing the coolant temp hit a high of 213 and the trans temp hit around 200 I have a scangauge and when they started to rise I took a little break. I was just wondering if that was normal. I plow 4 driveways 3 close together and on a few miles away. Also when in 4 wheel high when i turned the wheel almost all the way it seemed like something was binding but not when I started to straighten the wheel or when I was in 2 wheel. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be turning your truck in 4 wheel drive on dry payment.Things will blow up.Angle your plow or lower it a little when driving needs to get air to the radiator

3. nlongojr

nlongojr Junior Member

The pavement was wet although not snow covered and I do lower the blade but the trans cooler is very low on the 150. Do you think those temps can be harmful?

4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Find out what the factory thermostat is. Some newer cars have 210's installed. I'm almost positive my wifes VW does. Trans should be OK at 200, but I would be weary above that. I think 240 is where bad things start happening. Ideally you'd be around 180. You can try a trans flush with synthetic. That should buy you a few degrees.

5. nlongojr

nlongojr Junior Member

Shovelracer

I believe its a 190 as when I am driving without the plow it hovers right around there and the trans is around 145-165. I have been told a heavyduty fan clutch would help and am considering that this summer. I am also going to change the drivetrain fluids with synthetics. I am just not sure if those temps (in previous post) are high enough to be concerned.

6. shovelracer

Go to this thread there is an interesting chart.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96389

For the radiator you can try a hd fan clutch it should help, or you can go electric fans, also some people have built shield on the light bar to force air down into the radiator.

7. shovelracer

I guess to answer your question the heat temps are not catastrophic, but continuous temps above normal will shorten the life of the components.