1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two problems with Western Cable ISARMATIC

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dneiding, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dneiding

dneiding Member

I am working to get ready for winter and this is my first year with this truck and plow. Previously I had a Meyer E47.

Here are the problems I am having with my Western:

1. The lift cylinder is very, very tough to collapse all the way. With the plow attached, when you put the joystick in the float position the plow drops just fine. However, if you then try to push the lift arm down further (to slack up the chain for example) you cannot. The only way I can get it to lower all the way is to hook a come along up to the lift arm and the plow and crank it down.

2. The plow will not angle to the right (passenger-side). It angles left just fine; nice and fast. The motor runs but it doesn’t budge. If I drive the plow up to a tree and push on it while trying to angle it to the right it will sloooooowly move back to center. When the motor runs as you are trying to angle to the right the motor seems a little more high pitched.

Finally, one last question. How do you drain the fluid? The drain plug is on the bottom and I don’t see how to get a wrench on it due to the bumper being in the way. Do I need to take the pump off of the lift frame?

Thanks in advance!!!

Derek

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow wont work

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf:)i think you have a cable adjustment problem ,with out pulling the pump bottom bolt out and lifting it up to loosen ,just take the motor off ,use a suction gun to suck the oil out mop it dry with a towel some people use brake clean after they pull the pump out to flush it .check out these adjustments

3. dneiding

dneiding Member

I saw that earlier and wondered if that could be the problem. My cables don't seem to have the adjustment nuts on page 4-6.

See the pictures below.

Is there another method of adjusting these cables?

WesternCable.jpg

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

remove the bottom mounting bolt and swing the pump forward to drain. if you get the drain plug out with the unit in place the fluid gets all over the bumper of the truck. We normally use the remove the motor and use a vacuum pump to drain it. Gives you the opportunity to clean the filter and get the crap out of the bottom of the sump. flush the unit with Meyer (GASP) hydro-flush, then drain before refilling.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

cables

you have the older kinda non adjustable cable's,the only adjustment in that cable is in the grove that the set screw in your picture show's looks like it has been drilled out and replaced with a different screw .the only adjustment is in a small grove in the cable that a dog point screw ride's in . your valve adjustment's are the only other's .your prob going to have to go through all of them .they can be a real pain .

6. dneiding

dneiding Member

I think i got a bit of a mess. I replaced the angle cable with the adjustable type and i was able to get it to angle to the right (but no longer to the left :mad:). So I can adjust the cable in one direction and it will angle good to the right but not the left. Adjust the cable in the other direction and it angles left now but not right.

Now, the plow is lifting very, very slow too. I suspect I need to look into the lift valve - now hear is the problem, the socket head plug that you adjust for the lift valve seems to be very rounded and i can't get it to budge. I even took a 1/4 allen wrench and ground it down so it just fit in there, hammered it in, turned it and it too spun without turning the lift valve :realmad:

So now what? Anyone ever dealt with this? I suppose I could drill it out but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

7. dneiding

dneiding Member

I think I got the slow lifting close to figured out. After reading some old posts on this site i went out to the barn and adjusted the lift cable. Probably all my moving around of the joystick when I replaced angle cable put it out of whack. I should probably replace it altogether.

So that leaves me with the angle problem; by adjusting the angle cable I can get it to angle one way but not the other. Any ideas?

Should I even be messing with my frozen lift valve?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is it the metal or the plastic Lift Valve?

9. dneiding

dneiding Member

It is Metal