1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two problems left before I can move snow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PinkyRingz, Dec 4, 2008.

1. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I installed an 80's Western plow on my 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 truck yesterday. I'll post pics later.
    We got everything sorted out and tested the entire plow with a battery charger and she works fine.

Now for the problems:
    The cable control cables are too short. We need about 4 more feet of cable to finish the install. The local Western dealer says longer cables for this plow are only 9' (mine has the eye hole in the ends) 12" longer then what i have, and are extremely hard to get. I ordered PTO cable/throttle lock cable and am going to extend the cables myself. Hope it works.
    Second, wiriing the plow lights to the truck....we are going to splice into the trucks headlights. So when the plow lights are connected, the truck headlights will have to be unplugged. Is this going to work?

Everything else we got figgered out. Feel free to critique or recommend!! Thanks!
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I put a three way switch in to my factory headlights. That way if the plow is on then I flip the switch up ( up for plow lights because they are higher) the when the plow isn't on I flip the switch down for the regular truck lights. This will cause you to lose the high beams on the plow lights, but I never use them anyhow.
  3. nv_my_z71

nv_my_z71 Member

I'm new here so I probably shouldn't say anything but I can't believe people fab up mounts to new trucks like that instead of buying the right stuff. I talked a guy at work out of doing that to a 05 2500hd duramax, he said he knows how to weld so it will work, but I talked him into doing it right.
    I'm sorry but some people have to much money that they do that to nice trucks. Nice plows are for those trucks (uni mounts, ultra mounts, ect.)
  4. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

If I could afford proper mounts I would have purchased an entire new plow in much better shape. Because a mount adapter kits and bits of pieces would cost me $3000.00 and welding and doing it myself will cost $500.00 I will do it myself. Not all of us have money to throw around. This plow is for my own personal use and will not be making any money for me at all. This plow will cost me money (to operate) but save me long run in plowing costs.
    I'll tell you what, you send me $3000.00 Cdn. funds and I'll "do it right".
  5. jml416

jml416 Junior Member

got pics, i would like to see it?
  6. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

i'll post them tomorrow...i left my camera in the truk
  7. jml416

jml416 Junior Member

how did it turn out?
  8. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

We got 'er all figgered out and she works like a peach! HOWEVER, the truck tranny is giving me problems now....the boys and I were excited last night because we got 'er figgered out and then we go for our inaugural first push and the truck slips in and out of gear....after she runs for a bit she shifts rough....so to the GM dealer now.....*sigh*....my buddies and I are going to paint the plow and make pretty while the truck is in the shop we figger.
  9. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

some pics of our mcgyver install...lol...it werks tho

plowpics 001.jpg

plowpics 002.jpg

plowpics 003.jpg
  10. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

Our home made set up...entire thing (mounting and all) cost $1500.00....helluva lot cheaper then the $9800.00 to buy new!! lol!

plowpics 004.jpg

plowpics 005.jpg

plowpics 006.jpg