1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

two inch minimum (commerciial account)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by americanlawn, Dec 10, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn Junior Member
    from Midwest

Got a commericial account that wants to cancel. They contracted us to be plowed/shoveled at a two inch minimum. Now they want ot cancel cuz we did not plow them at a one inch level. Wondering why they did not pick up their phone and call us if they wanted snow removal "whenever they want". We could have been there within 30 minutes. Sand/salt truck also available within minutes after the snow removal. Jeeze -- what more could we offer? Just pick up the phone and dial seven numbers, or else change the contract they wanted.???????? We ain't no mind readers.

Anybody else get these "people"???? rscvp, thanks.

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Just sounds like a cheap shot to dump you for a cheaper solution. I'd be pulling local weather records, having a pow wow, and give them the opportunity to state their case. If no resolution is made, I'd remind them that the contract is binding and I will not hesitate to take it to the next level if necessary. I actually would hand it off to the Lawyer, and if they want to call my bluff, that's their problem, and they can pay the legal fees as well, as stated in the contract.

3. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

i have to say that the trigger amount has to be the biggest issue we deal with all winter. what we stress to all of our clients is that we treat this industry as profesional as possible. and we always, and i mean always have their best interest in mind. we recently had a problem on the opposite side of this post. at a walgeens store, we plowed an inch of sloppy slushy snow. temps were dropping in the next few hours, and the lot would have turned into an ice rink. we decided to plow the lot, and salt. no problem at the 2" trigger. but the new store manager had issues about it only being officially an inch. after explaining that we have serviced this property for over 9 years, both summer and winter, and their customers are the ones we think about. not necessarily his budget. this new store manager just happen to be from arizona. customer education is always on our top priority. but a phone call can eliminate a million problems i think.

4. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Forget them, they'll have a different plow company every year. You'll see.

5. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

ALL of our accounts are set at a 1" trigger. If it's close to an inch we clean them all up and they're happy when they get there in the morning because their lots are nice & clean.

6. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I've got an account that switched to a two inch trigger 3 years ago. First year of the change they had an employee slip-and-fall. Now I plow or salt whenever I think it is necessary, and they gladly pay. Still have 2 years of my "two inch" contract left.

Most people think that one inch of snow is two inches when they look at it. I had somebody the other night telling me that they had "at least three inches" the other night 4 hours before it quit snowing. At the end of the storm, the official number was 2.8 inches total

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

If you lose a job like that, consider it a blessing. All it is, is a liability bomb just waiting to go off.

8. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

If its a 2" trigger and it snowed 1.5" we would be out plowing. No one is going to squabble over .5 inches.

9. stauffer.80

stauffer.80 Junior Member

Same here. If anyone bitches about 1.5in with a 2" trigger, they are probably not worth keeping on your customer list.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We have NO triggers on commercials. We plow when we want.