1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Two batteries under the hood? Prevent battery strain?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lowell_Ma_Snow, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

This is my second truck that has 2 batteries under the hood. First truck the previous owner kept the plow but my second truck with the plow has 2 batteries under the hood. OK maybe a dumb question but why the two batteries? Are they hooked up in series so's not to put a huge drain on the original battery under plow use?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

yes. two batteries is a good thing to have. look in the chevy forum and there is a sticky about dual batteries and pictures.

3. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Thanks Burkartsplow for setting me in that direction for more answers.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

They are most likely hooked up parallel

5. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

doubtful they are a 24v setup, they are probably in line so that its still a 12v, but with two batteries so you don't have issues running a heater, radio, headlights, strobe, windshield wipers, heated mirrors, engine power, aux backup lights, cell phone charger, gps, plow power, salter, etc. That's why I have two batteries in my truck anyways

my buddy has a 24v setup in his land rover, but it's because it's ex-military

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If the batts are in series(in line) thats would make it a 24 volt system (assuming they are 12 Volt battteries)

They should be wired in parallel

7. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

sorry wasn't paying attention to what i was writing