1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Twisted A-Frame

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by iowa snow, Jul 30, 2011.

1. iowa snow

iowa snow Junior Member
    from iowa

Hi there new to the snow plowing game, I bought a truck with a plow and the A-Frame is twisted I think or I have truck mounting problems. When I unpin it the pin block is lower on the passenger side of the a -frame than the drivers side of the a- frame. Got it for a real good price it is a western conventional or Uni-Mount they both take the same a-frame (at least from the home work I have done) .Now for the problem I am having the blade will angle to the left just fine and go back straight but when I angle to the right It will go just fine, but when I try to bring it back it gets stuck in the right position, If I keep working at it, it moves it just takes some working at it. Trying to find a used a-frame a new one is $380 central parts .com anyone think of where I can get a-frame used or could it b something else??

Thanks,
    iowa snow

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Post up some pics so we can help.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

it could also be a bent piston causing the binding.

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Pop the pins and drop both hydro cylinders on the plow side. Swing the blade back and forth. If no binding occurs, your A frame is OK and the problem is with the hydraulics. Inspect the angling rams carefully for bends, and check the hoses for crimps.

5. iowa snow

iowa snow Junior Member
    from iowa

Thanks po house 4 the reply I have had the truck sense last year just no time to mess with it. But I have time now. I think tomorrow I am gonna switch the angle cylinders from one side to the other the one on the drivers side of the plow looks new or pretty close to it. The one on the passenger side looks oem Now that you say that it makes a lot of sense. Wish me good luck I am gonna give it a try.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We had a twisted A frame on one of our unimounts. It was a little hard to mount but never effected the side to side movement. I bet one of you cylinders is bent.

7. iowa snow

iowa snow Junior Member
    from iowa

Hi there I have an up date to my problems. This angling problem only happens when its cold out not during this wonderfull 90 degree heat. I found this out when I hooked it up and tryed it for the first time after I bought it. I wonder if someone has put tranny fluid in to the system instead of hydro fluid. This would cause it to be stiff in both directions when it cold not just the one I dont understand maybe there is water in the system somewhere I can suck the fluid from the pump but not sure how to drain cylinders and do I have to worry about air getting in the system? Wonder if I should replace the hoses and both couplers, maybe water is getting in there anyone have any ideas?

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Raise the plow in the air 1-2". Undo both hoses from the side to side rams. You will be able to move the plow side to side pushing all the hydraulic fluid out. If it is hard to move in 1 direction you might be able to tell if the ram is bent. If you manage to get all the fluid out and out of the pump and lift ram then fill it with the new style plow fluid. It is very thin and your plow will move faster and easier. I believe you are not supposed to use the new fluid or real old plow though.

If you have quick connect couplers on the rams then I would get rid of those and just use a regular coupler instead.

9. iowa snow

iowa snow Junior Member
    from iowa

I wonder if the problem is the hydro fluid it self. I have no history on the last fluid change. I know from what I have been told it should be changed every season But only getting the truck last winter febuary to be exact I haven't changed it. Can the fluid beakdown and cause this problem when it is cold I tryed it last week when it was 90 degrees it dident get stuck at all and I worked it back and forth it also diden't seem as sluggish as it did last winter but that could b because it was 90 and the fluid was very thin I did ad just a wee bit of fluid last winter that was from coupling and uncoupling to take it on and off the truck the fluid that I put in is supposed to be good down to 50 below . Any help is most helpfull thank you