1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Twist" to the Greco-mod Superduty mirrors!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by durafish, Feb 22, 2014.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

A lot of members have seen the "dancing", "flashing", "strobing" etc Ford supetduty mirrors. The original creator is a member here and many others used his idea including myself. It's a very simple setup that uses a LED flasher to flash both sets of lights (running and signal) so they look like strobes.
    I had to order new more mirror lights and got a great deal on a pair that had a clear lense, I didn't care because I wanted to tint them anyway. They have been sitting for some time now and I got thinking. For the front of the truck I'm doing a Amber/clear strobe setup and I wanted to tie the mirrors into this. I knew that the leds can't be hard to change so I went ahead and disassembled the light. I found two sets of lights one for running and one for the turn signal. It's a simple 8 led design, 4 for each part. I wanted to keep it sorta legal so I'm changing the running lights (bottom section) to clear leds and keeping the rest amber. I've wanted all clear running lights so now I can do that and put a LED switch back in the Harley headlights and all the running lights with be clear and turn signals will be Amber.

Now to do this you will need:
    -Clear LED replacement lights for 03-07 Ford superduty mirrors
    -1 small flat head screwdriver
    -1 small philp heads screwdriver
    -rvt silicon to seal it up
    -4 clear leds
    -razor blade

Flip the light over a find the 6 philp head screws, they will be cover with silicon so scrap as much as you can away then remove the 6 screws.
    Then gently pry the lense away with the flat head, the silicon isn't very strong but be careful.
    Take the lens, reflector and led board apart from each other.
    Next, find the 4 leds you will be changing, for me I choose the lower running light portion. Un-solder all 4 leds, be careful not to burn the board or connect the + and - together with solder.
    Replace the lights with new clear leds make sure you have them all connected properly.
    Next(optional) get some vht night shades. lighty sand the lens with 2k gritt paper, clean, and tint till you feel it's dark enough I wanted it to be pretty black so I did 2 heavy coats coats.
    Lastly, clean all the old silicon off, wipe with mineral spirits or the like and apply and good amount of rvt all around the lens. Put everything back together and let them sit for 24 hours to dry. Check for any spot you missed and fill in the screw holes so no moisture gets in.
    Connect it all and your good! Even if you don't want to have them strobe but have clear cab lights these will complete the look.
  2. jpell

jpell Senior Member

Do you have any videos of the lights after the install?